Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get me out of here!

Hi, I'm 22 and having been living in my partners family home for the past couple years. I moved out of my mums home and then later my grandads home due to a lot of family issues: death, arguements, mental health, money problems.
    At first, my partners house was like a safe haven. It was nice being wanted in a family. But it seems the longer I am here, despite looking after their dogs and generally being there for them and being nice and also paying housekeeping- I no longer feel welcome.
    I wanted to live here temporarily but unfortunately it's been longer than planned. I want to move out desperately. I can't take the cold shoulder and bluntness of his mother anymore. It's just so clear she doesn't want me here yet she acts like an angel and a victim. She claims she loves having me here but then talks through my partner to have a go at me for no reason.
    I need to get out. My mental health can't take it. I'm ill enough as it is.

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about your situation with your partners parents. It sounds stressful that it didn’t end up being a safe and supportive environment for you.

Living in a toxic environment definetly effects your mental health. It’s understandable that you’re needing to get away from that. We are here to brainstorm options with you. You could apply for housing through the HUD program (www.HUD.gov). You could ask your friends if they would allow you to stay with them until you find housing. Another option is finding a shelter. There are also certain kinds of shelters called Transitional Shelters, or Independent Living Programs that take in youth your age and help them get on their feet, find an income and live independently. They usually help youth ages 18-21, but we have heard of some helping youth up to 24 years old.

Hopefully this information helps you think about some options available to you. We also encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY so we can hear a bit more about your situation and explore what options might be best for you. Our phone lines are available 24/7 and we’d be glad to help.

Best of luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X