Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to leave.

I am 17 and I will be 18 in 6weeks, I'm engaged and is a senior. I am planning on leaving my mothers house for good when my birthday come and I become 18. I live with three other siblings , But I'm the second oldest. I never can enjoy my young life cause I have to always stay and take care of the house and my younger siblings. I am planning on getting married on my fiances 19th birthday. I've tried to leave before , but the police made me return home. They told me I could come back when I'm 18, but my mother is still tryna keep me here. I keep the house clean and taken good care of while tryna be focused in school and prepared myself college and medical school. My father sees how bad she does me, but can't take me in cause his house is too full. I wanted to go back with my fiance and live with him and his sister until we get on our own. He has two jobs. And care for me better than my mother does. His mother also is very supportive. She would love to sign me up into an academy where they live, but I'm afraid my mother won't take me out of school and try to mess up my dreams and goals. Could I take myself out of school and transfer to another? Or would my mother have to? She also knows where my fiance sister lives. Can she come there and make me come home. Or can she call the police on me again?

RE: Ready to leave.

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are so glad you reached out and we will do our best to help you. It sounds like home life is quite stressful for you. What have you been doing to take care of yourself? It seems you have a lot of responsibility taking care of your family and the house which may be causing a lot of stress to the point that you want to leave permanently. What can improve things at home if you decided to stay?

You mentioned you left once before but were brought back by the police. It seems you may have been informed of your state laws as far as leaving home legally but you are now wondering if you leave home will you be able to register on your own. We are unsure of state laws around education. It may be best to contact the school for more information on the registration process to see if your mother has to register you for school when you turn 18 or if this is something you can do on your own. Each state as well as school district may be different when it comes to educational laws and requirements for registration. You may be able to find more information about enrolling through your state board of education.

It also sounds like you are concerned about your mother trying to make you go back home. We are not legal experts, but if the sate you reside in recognizes 18 as the age of majority, you would have to wait until you reach 18 to earn the right to choose where you live. Your mom may try to file another runaway report if you leave again before reaching 18. There may be a chance that you are returned back home if you leave at 17 again. For more specific, direct answers it may be best to contact your local authorities for confirmation on this. You may contact the local non-emergency police department to ask questions about what would happen if you left again at 17.

If you needed any further assistance, please reach out to us by phone or chat. We would be happy to help any further such as contacting agencies for you or looking up resources for you. We are here to also help explore some options for you.

We wish you luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X