No announcement yet.

Getting kicked out

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting kicked out

I recently turned 18, and my father told me that he’s removing me from his health insurance. I’ve been living for 6 months in an apartment he used to rent out to tenants, whereas he lives with my stepmother and their children in a different house. I’ve had minimal contact with him for the last several months, and I’ve managed to pick up odd jobs and support myself so far. I know him evicting me from this apartment is inevitable, and I doubt he would have to deliver an eviction notice since there was never any legal paperwork. I should mention that I don’t have a car, and though I’ve applied to several jobs, I live in a very small town and businesses simply aren’t hiring, and the nearest large(r) town is 30 miles away. What should I do?

Hello,
    It seems you are in a tough spot. It takes a lot of courage to reach out to see what your options are when feeling stuck and it sounds like your father isn’t helping much. You did the right thing. It’s normal to feel lost when you turn 18.
    Let’s see what options you have. Look around at the supports and networks in your life. See if your school has any programs available. See if there are any other relatives or friends that might have some ideas.
    Another option is to try a transitional living facility or homeless shelter. A transitional living facility is similar to a homeless shelter, however, it is generally for longer term stays and helps individuals get on their feet by providing help with finding jobs and other services. To get specific information on how to contact either of these shelters, call or chat us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X