Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

runaway or no? whatever it is, can't stay!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runaway or no? whatever it is, can't stay!

I'm 17 years old (I turn 18 in November) and struggling with emotional problems since i was around 10/11. My parents have been divorced since before I was 2 and my mom got remarried when I was 9. In 6th grade my school forced me to start going to therapy. Once I started high school things got even tougher. My mom and I never had a strong relationship and it is always getting rockier. When I was 14 I moved in with my dad. In 10th grade I started "cutting" and was hospitalized twice in 11th grade. At the start of 12th grade, i started a specialized therapy called DBT. I left school around mid-March and haven't been back since. I still go to therapy. Things with my mom are still getting rockier, and now things with my dad are getting rockier by the second.

I desperately have to get out of my dad's house and I can't go back to my mom's place. I've started turning to suicidal thoughts, and once even actions. My dad and i fight almost every day and it's scaring me. I need, need, NEED to get away, but I know if I run I might end up in the hospital again, and definitely back at my dad's house. If I stay though, I fear becoming even more suicidal. Please help me figure something out?

Re: runaway or no? whatever it is, can't stay!

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through so much lately and we are really glad that you reached out. You have taken a great step in trying to get some help by posting on our bulletin board. We’re here to help as much as we can.

So it sounds like you have been thinking about leaving home because of stress at home with your dad. You shared that you have been thinking about suicide lately, and have cut in the past and tried to kill yourself once before. This is a really serious thing to be thinking about. It sounds like you have gotten help in therapy and the hospital before, have you thought about asking your dad to go back to the hospital again? If you are in immediate need of assistance, you can always call 911. We’d like to give you another number as well, it’s called the National Suicide Hotline at (800) 274 TALK (8255). This is a 24/7 hotline that has trained counselors ready to assist you in any way that they can. They may also be able to talk with you about self-injury. They have a chat program as well available here: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

You shared that the fighting that you have been experiencing at home with your dad has been scaring you and you need to get out. You deserve to feel safe in your own home. If you would like to report anything to Child Protective Services that is going on at home and making you feel unsafe, this may be an option. You can call us here at 1800runaway and we can provide you the number for your state, or you can call Child Help USA at (800) 422 4453, and they could provide you that number as well/let you know if what is going on at home is “reportable” to CPS.

Have you talked to your therapist at all about the way that you have been feeling at home with your dad? This might be another resource that can provide some insight on your options, since they know more of your history than we do here at National Runaway Safeline.

We’re not here to tell you what to do, or what is best for you. We’re just here to help you work through your options and figure out a plan to help you stay safe. If you would like to talk further, we’re here 24/7 to support you as much as we can. Please do not hesitate to call us.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X