Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im afriad to runaway

hi i am a 15 year old girl and i have been thinking about running away. my parents fight a lot and they get really angry at me all the time. its like everything i do makes them upset. my parents are also very strict. and once i threatened to runaway and my mom told me that the police woul pick me up. but now i am afraid to runaway and i feel the need to get away quick. i have some friends who said i could stay with them but if i did they would get in trouble.

re: im afriad to runaway

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been going through a really stressful time at home. You feel overwhelmed with the arguments you have been having with your parents, and you feel like there is nothing you can do but to escape from that. It’s good that you contacted us, and we’re definitely happy to help.

There are some things you may want to consider before running away. Because you are a minor, your parents can file a runaway report with the police. If the police do find you, they are required to take you back to your parents. Also your friends could be charged with harboring a runaway as well. You may want to call your local police to find out more information about what would happen if you ran away.

You may also want to consider these questions: How long would you be able to stay with your friends? Where else would you go if you could only stay with your friends for a limited time? How would you support yourself financially? How would you get food and transportation? Would you still attend school? What would happen if you were returned to your parents after running away?

Again we’re really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org. We’re here to listen, here to help.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Parents divorced need to live with my dad.

I am 16 years old. I want to live at my dads house. My mom has me watch my brothers all the time and I never go out anywhere. I want to enjoy the two years I have left before I become a adult. And being at her house I feel like all I am is a babysitter. I want to be able to contact someone so I can receive help. I want to be out of her house because I am not a mother and I am constantly doing stuff for her but I can never go anywhere or asking her to go anywhere is hard because she claims she is too tired. My dad and I went to court once to do something about it but I messed it up. I got scared because my mom told me that I wouldn't see my brothers that much. So I told the judge I wanted to live with my mom and I messed up I was thirteen then. Now that I am trying to get a job I have to help her pay the rent and my car insurance because when I go to work her rent goes up. She gets section 8. So I won't have any money of my own to save up for college. I tried telling her about it and then she gets mad at me and yelling at me saying you need to make up your mind. And other times she says she may go live in Maryland and I can decide to go with or not. She says stuff like that sometimes. I want to live with my dad but he refuses to help me because he is afraid I am going let him down again. So he says I have to do it by myself this time I don't know how to do that. I have barely any friends here because my life is so unstable and I am ready to start over and move in with my dad. Is there anyway I can contact social services and get removed from my moms home? Please help!

Comment

Re: Parents divorced need to live with my dad.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things have been really difficult for you living with your mom, financially and emotionally. It sounds like you would prefer living with your dad, and you have tried to get that worked out before but it didn’t work. We’re sorry to hear about all of this. We’re here to help as much as we can. We’re glad you found our bulletin board.

So it sounds like you have a lot of responsibility at home, with babysitting and being expected to work and help out with rent and insurance. That is a lot to manage. It sounds like you are a really responsible individual, trying to do what’s best for your future and your concerns about not being able to save money for college are totally understandable. You shared that you and your dad went to court before and custody was not given to him because you had been told that you would not see your brothers as often if you moved in with him. Your fearful feelings make sense. Do you think that this is still something that would be concerning to you?

Contacting social services for your state is an option. It sounds like you want to have custody transferred to your dad, and he is unwilling to help you because of what happened in the past. That has got to be extremely frustrating. Is he still willing to let you live with him, it’s just the contacting of Social Services that he does not want to do? If you call us here at National Runaway Safeline, we could find the number for Social Services of your state and/or legal resources that might be able to help you and your dad navigate how to get custody of you. Another option might be to talk to either of your parents’ lawyers directly as well.

We’re here to help as much as we can. It sounds like you’re in a tough spot but we’re happy to assist in any other way that we can. Don’t hesitate to call or chat with us if you need further support.

Good luck and stay safe,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
        Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X