No announcement yet.

What should I do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What should I do?

    I am 14 years old. My mother and my father have been emotionally and physically abusive for years. Every once in awhile the abuse will leave bruises. They have called me worthless and told my sister to go kill herself. One time after my dad had hit my sister really bad, he blackmailed me into not saying anything. I reached out to a friend for help, but they found out. Even after they found out, they still are continuing to do the same things. I am worried about my mental health. I have hurt myself and ever since I've realized that they're not going to change, I've had bad depression. I don't want to get my parents in trouble, I love them. But I don't feel comfortable or safe being around them. I've considered running away to a relative or friends house to get away.

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thank you for reaching out and sharing about what is going on in your life. Its seems like you have been through some very difficult experiences. You should know you don’t deserve the treatment your parents have been giving you. We are here to support you in any way that we can.

    It sounds like you are a caring person and that you are concerned about the well-being of others. It can be difficult to be open about how your parents are treating your, again, appreciate that you were open with us. You are important as well, and deserve a place that you feel safe and comfortable. You talk about running away and seems like you have some options. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

    You mentioned that you dad blackmailed you to not saying anything. If you feel uncomfortable reporting the abuse yourself with Child Help (1-800-422-4453), you can call into our hotline and we could report the abuse for you. We do want to say that the process is detailed and lengthy but we can support you through it.

    Your mental health is important, if you would want any references for counseling or just want to talk to someone you can also call into our hotline and we could find some local resources. Also, a place you can look is as this is a substance abuse and mental health services finder (1-877-726-4727). Most of the time, you can receive a couple sessions without parental notification but it would be good to ask during the intake process. Also, if you access to a phone, if you feel unsafe with yourself, you can reach out to us or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Another resource that maybe helpful is an organization called To Write Love On Her Arms. The website is

    You are not alone in this and we are to listen. We want to make sure you are safe so feel free to reach out to through our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or log into our chat through our website. Stay strong!

    Last edited by ccsmod3; 12-30-2017, 08:19 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp