No announcement yet.

I want to get out of my house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to get out of my house

    My mom has become a complete maniac and I'm basically a prisoner in my own home. Shes stripping me away from my friends and social life and I dont feel safe in my home and I want to leave. I'm 17, female. I dont want her to call the cops on me and I dont want her to find me, what do I do?

  • #2
    Hello, thanks so much for posting today! Your living situation sounds really stressful and controlling. We are sorry you feel like a prisoner. You do not deserve to be isolated from your friends or kept prisoner.
    In most states 18 is the legal age of adulthood so leaving home without your mom’s permission while 17, your mom does have the right to file a runaway report with the police. It isn’t a crime to run away, but any adult you stay with is at risk for being charged with the crime of harboring a runaway if your mom wants to press those charges.
    It sounds like living with your mom is really difficult and stressful. If you are able to call, we are here 24/7 365 days a year: 1-800-786-2929. We can discuss options for you like living with another family member or friend, filing an abuse report if you feel you are being abused or neglected at all, and exploring other options.
    We are here 24/7 by phone and 4pm-11pm CT on live chat on our website. We can best help if you reach out directly.
    Best of luck, reaching out and asking for help is a big step and it can be difficult. We are here to help you!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp