No announcement yet.

Help me

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me

I am 12 years old and living with my dad. I want to move in with my mom but every time i bring it up to my dad he always starts getting mad and yelling at me. My mom is really nice and doesn't yell at me unless i actually screw up. My dad forces me to be in clubs i don't want to be in and mentally abuses me and most of the time he leaves me traumatized. I am always thinking of running away but my mom lives far from me so i'm pretty sure they will find me before i get there.If anyone has any thoughts please share them.

Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us at NRS. It sounds like living with your dad has been pretty rough, but you have a good relationship with your mom, which is great. Running away is not illegal, but the police would be able to find you and bring you back home, and any adult who takes you in could possibly get in trouble for “harboring a runaway”.
    This is assuming that your dad has legal custody of you, and not your mom. We are not legal experts and do not have enough information to say for sure, but it might be possible for your mom to get the rights to care for you legally. If you are unable to go through your parents' custody lawyer, you can always give us a call and we can find legal help in your area (800) RUNAWAY. You mentioned feeling mentally abused and traumatized living with your dad. If child services get involved and do determine that your dad’s behavior is considered to be abusive, and living with your mom is also not an option, they could help find an alternate living situation. The National Child Abuse Hotline is available 24/7 to answer any questions you might have and, if you want, help you file an abuse report (800) 422-4453.
    We also offer a conference call feature where you can call our hotline and talk to your dad with the supervision of a crisis line worker to express how you feel about living at home and see if the two of you can come to some sort of compromise or resolution to make things better at home. To try this out, talk to a crisis line worker, or find out about other options/resources available, we are open 24/7 and completely confidential (800) RUNAWAY.
    Best of luck to you!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X