•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello there,
    Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like moving out has been stressful for you. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can. You can call us at 800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800RUNAWAY.org as we can only respond to forums twice.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 18 and I moved out. I have no money and no job. I am staying at a friends house. But I don’t know what to do with myself. I am stressing over money and it’s becoming worse on my mental health

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.
    You do not deserve to be abused in any type of way and we are sorry you and your siblings are going through that. You do have every right to file an abuse report and there are a few ways to go about doing that. One option would be to call Child Help at 1800-422-4453, and they would be able to help with filing a report. You can also consider talking to a school counselor, because they are mandated reporters they would be required to file a report. Lastly, you can always call or chat with us and we would be happy to help you with a report.
    You mentioned waiting until you are 18 to leave, in most states the legal age to leave home without permission is 18, so you would be of legal age. It is great that you are beginning to make a plan. One option to consider would be to have money saved for rent, food and other bills, but also a few hundred saved for emergencies. Your first step would be to figure out what state you would want to live in, then do research on the cost of living. After you figure out what state you want to live in you can research jobs on Indeed or other platforms.
    We can help you more with your plan over the phone or through our chat platform. We are here for you 24/7 by phone or by chat. Please contact us to explore more options or if you have any more questions. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm planning to move out when I'm 18. I'm currently 16, and dealing with my parents emotional abuse. They threaten beatings, constantly yell at me, and have laid their hands on my brother before (they have grabbed him up by the collar of his shirt and choked him before). They said they would kick their children out of the house if any of them were LGBT+, and I'm sorta maybe questioning, so I am rather worried about that. I haven't been happy in my home for a long time. I don't have much of a plan, but I have some time to figure one out, and I have the beginnings of one. Me and two of my friends have been talking about moving into an apartment together once we're all of age (1, although both of them live in different states than me. I don't know where I am going to go, but I know that I am leaving my state. I am going to finally be taking my learners test in May (it had to be pushed back so far because of the virus), and then I'll hopefully be able to get my license by 17. I guess I'm just asking for some advice as I don't know what to do for this plan to work, and I want to be prepared so I can leave as soon as possible.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you opening up to us. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

It sounds like living with your father is very difficult, and it's completely understandable you'd want out of that situation. Further, you don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. The national domestic violence hotline (http://www.thehotline.org/) may also be a good resource, as you are over the age of 17.

It also seems like you may be a good fit for a long term shelter. These shelters typically allow you to stay for 6-24 months, depending on your need and the organization. If you would like to further discuss the details of your situation, we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can search for resources in your area.

If calling is not feasible, you can also chat us at www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope this helped and take care!

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I really don’t have no where else to ask about this but I seriously need to get out of my home. My dad is extremely abusive, he beats me and throws rocks at me and made a card with my ssn without me knowing anything. I am too scared to reach out or to move anywhere because he said if I were to leave my house on bad terms with him, he would make my image to my family look bad. Hes also cheated on my mom and threatened to deport her if she snitched to the husband of his mistress. Please help, I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to send him to jail either because I have 6 younger siblings and they all need their dad. Please help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Once you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live.  We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Guest replied
    I’m turning 18 in March and I have a learning disability I want to move out do I have to listen to my parent

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    Thank you for reaching out. We are glad that you did.
    It sounds like you are going through a lot of things that you don’t deserve to. The verbal abuse and the awful things she says are wrong and you don’t deserve that. We are very sorry that DCFS has not helped you and that she keeps changing therapists on you.
    We don’t judge people in general, and your boyfriend is age appropriate anyway, so you are safe talking with us. But the best way for us to help you is if we can have a conversation with you, either by phone or via live chat.
    We hope that you will chat with us via www.1800runaway.org or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) We are here for you 24/7 and are here to listen and help.

Guest replied
    Please help me. I need help. I am 16 right now. DCFS has come to my house 5 times this year but the reasons aren’t bad enough that they’ve taken me away. My mom is very verbally abusive and emotionally neglecting. She doesn’t give me my phone ever because I am “a disgrace”. She tells me to kill myself and tells me to run away so that she can call 911 so they can put me in jail so that my inmates kill me. And she locks up the pantry and my room and the art supplies. My therapist said that I should get out as soon as possible. I’ve been to therapy since I was 3. My first hospitalization was when I was 5. My mom puts me in places when she’s angry at me. I’ve been to 17 different therapists and every time they tell her she is the one who needs help, she puts me with a new one. She’s gotten violent and she starved me last winter. I have a boyfriend who is 18 and I know this makes me sound like a whore for dating a guy older than me but he is so amazing and so please don’t judge me. Anyway, I need help on how to get started to make my way up to moving in with him at 18. I have nothing. No money, no car, no permit, no job. I have nothing but I need to get out when I’m 18 I really do. Please help me. Please. I love her so much but this is hell for me. I’m scared that if I move out at 18 she’ll refuse to pay for my college. Please help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Guest replied
    I just turned 18 this month and I can’t handle my moms boyfriend they been together for like 13 years and i kinda grew up with home but not father figure. I’m like ghetto and all that so I smoke weed to keep me calm but I’m still stuck in my parent house I got over 10 grand but I’m saving it for a house in the future not sure what to do and I really have had enough of all the negative energy and vibes from my moms boyfriend.I don’t know how I would tell my parent like hey I’m leaving i love you but I got to go I can’t take it anymore or what,! But yeah just been smoking weed my last 3 years and I’m still i. School but I wanna leave that house. But I also have a little brother and older sister living at the house and I feel bad when bad attitude is then shown to them. And I’m not sure what to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this.
    Since you are 18 you are more than likely considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe and stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hey I’m 18 years old and I am In need to move out on the ASAP I cannot live in this house any longer my parents are not Allowing me to go out not even grab lunch not even go for walk they won’t even allow me to go to my ball more like I need to get out of this out ASAP I can’t live like this I’m at 18 and they still think they can control my life if I stay in this house I’m going to go suicidal my parents do not help with my mental health they just don’t understand I do have money I have a part-time job I just need help to get out of this house

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X