•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It sounds very frustrating for your parents to give you such mixed signals. You mentioned that your parents threatened to hit you when you express yourself. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. Living on your own can also bring about many safety risks. You will need to consider ways that you can protect yourself from physical harm as well as the possibility of sexual and labor exploitation. This can all influence your decision to leave.

It seems like your parents are under the impression that they are open to talking about issues that you're facing but they really aren't. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 16 and I just want to get out of my parents house like right now. They never listen they never care about what I say and they’re the ones saying “ come to us when you have problems. Come to us when you’re feeling bad or lonely..” and every time I just try to say something they’re always like “yea if I punch you maybe that will make you come to your senses. You don’t know what suffering is.” Please help I don’t want to spend another night here please... I lost everything I loved I lost my reason to just get out of bed and try one more time I don’t want to stay here but I have no money I have no friends I have nothing and school is just making it worse all I do is skip classes and cry because I don’t want to go back home and I don’t want to stay in school .. I just need help right now..
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 11-11-2019, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.We are sorry to hear that you don’t have many resources to be able to move once you turn 18. One thing we can do to help you find resources is give you a referral to a Transitional Housing program. These programs help youth get jobs, get shelter, and continue education. They are usually a good resource to help yourself get back on your feet. However we would need to get more information from you. You can do this by using our chat option or phone call line as we do not respond to email and forums after we have replied once. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    i saw post #24 and i can relate but its my stepdad in my case he questions my every move and,he keeps telling me how if i fail im gonna have to repeat my senior year of high school,in the back of my mind im sayin well na duh sherlock,im going to be 18 in november a day ive been waiting on for 4 yrs unfortunately i have nothing,car ,money,and job,apartment wise any suggestions,i cant deal with living at my house anymore
    i wish anyone who sees this the best of luck in thier situations

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hello! You’ve taken a big step in reaching out for help, and your efforts do not go unnoticed.
    To begin with, you mentioned that you want to move out of your house, but your guardians have refused. You’re really brave for wanting to take such a big mile stone in your life! Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is still considered a minor. You may want to take into consideration that you may need to be at least 18 years of age to be considered an adult in your county/ state, in order to, sign documentation under your name, or do any further legal proceedings.
    Furthermore, you also said that you want to move out with your boyfriend, and have a steady income coming in for now. An option to explore would be to sit down with your boyfriend, and see if he is wanting to move in together. If so, you guys can come up with a plan on how you will save enough money to move on and pay rent. You may also have a heart to heart with your aunt and uncle, and make them aware of a future plans you may have when you turn 18.
    Than you once again for reaching out! You’re really brave for wanting to have a strategic plan in place in taking the next big step of moving out. Please do come back to chat or call us any time at (800)-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to talk. Best of luck

Guest replied
    hi i am 17 i be 18 August 22,2020 and i want to move out of my aunt and uncles house and i have a learning disability and i get a check but they said i cant move out i want to move in with my bf and i know the basic of life i dont know what i should do can you help me please.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied

I recently turned 18
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you are not sure what to do between leaving home and moving in with your boyfriend, still attending school and not wanting to hurt your family situation. It’s okay to examine things thoroughly and not jumping into a decision. This is your life so you are doing a good job by weighing your options.
    Some things to consider might be some of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave (It sounds like you are worried about losing communication with them).

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I recently turned 18 and My boyfriend wants me to move in with him but I still need to take my classes at college and he lives almost an hour away, I have no car, I’m looking for a job at the moment but I just want to leave already but I’m so scared of hurting my parents and then not wanting to keep contact with me just like my older sister

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are having a difficult time trying to move out due to your grandma and your mom. That must be very frustrating to deal with. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult transition.

Since you are now 18, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. We can help you make a plan for how to deal with your situation and help you find resources to land on your feet. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving can be a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It can also be helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your mom for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. If you call or chat us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or www.1800runaway.org we can look to see if there are any TLPs near your area. We are here to listen and help however we can.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS

Guest replied
    I've been 18 for a couple months now and I know what I want to do I've been planning it since I was 16 I want to move away far away two different country start a new life the only people I have are my grandma and my mom my mom doesn't care anymore I don't think she won't tell me that directly can I get the hints and I hear what she calls me when I when she thinks I'm not not listening over the phone call and all my grandma wants to do is use me so if I make money she'll take all of it as rent no matter how much I make how would I go about moving away

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us, we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time. With anxiety to deal with and your depression worsening, it is understandable that everything feels overwhelming. We want you to know that you matter, that your life matters. It’s also important for you to know that depression lies. It lies by trying to convince you of uselessness or laziness, or any of the other things that bring you down. Being a burden or a waste to others is definitely another lie that depression tells. If we can talk together, maybe we can help you find ways to feel stronger inside, or help you find a therapist that can help you do that. You deserve to feel strong and alive and to have the future you dream of. You are worthy of all of that.
    It sounds like it’s possible that you and your mom may not be communicating in a productive way, and in a situation where you are stressed out and angry, your mom getting mad and fed up may mean starting the conversation over when both of you have the space to talk it through. Maybe she (or another relative) can help with this particular fee while you look for a job to help with the next ones.
    You deserve your life and your dreams of college. You really do. And we would like to talk further about what you are going through, because having found us, you are not alone. We are here to listen and help and to help you find the options and supports that you do have.
    If you can, please reach out to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline is there for you at 1-800-273-8255
    We are also here for you 24/7 either at our telephone hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or through live chat at www.1800runaway.org Either way that is more comfortable for you to reach out, we will be here for you. We want to hear from you to listen and to help
    We hope this helps,
    NRS

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us, we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time. With anxiety to deal with and your depression worsening, it is understandable that everything feels overwhelming. We want you to know that you matter, that your life matters. It’s also important for you to know that depression lies. It lies by trying to convince you of uselessness or laziness, or any of the other things that bring you down. Being a burden or a waste to others is definitely another lie that depression tells. If we can talk together, maybe we can help you find ways to feel stronger inside, or help you find a therapist that can help you do that. You deserve to feel strong and alive and to have the future you dream of. You are worthy of all of that.
    It sounds like it’s possible that you and your mom may not be communicating in a productive way, and in a situation where you are stressed out and angry, your mom getting mad and fed up may mean starting the conversation over when both of you have the space to talk it through. Maybe she (or another relative) can help with this particular fee while you look for a job to help with the next ones.
    You deserve your life and your dreams of college. You really do. And we would like to talk further about what you are going through, because having found us, you are not alone. We are here to listen and help and to help you find the options and supports that you do have.
    If you can, please reach out to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline is there for you at 1-800-273-8255
    We are also here for you 24/7 either at our telephone hotline at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or through live chat at www.1800runaway.org Either way that is more comfortable for you to reach out, we will be here for you. We want to hear from you to listen and to help
    We hope this helps,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am 19 and my mom wants me to move out.

I'm 19 and my mother wants me to move out or get a job. The thing is that I have no motivation to do anything. I was diagnosed with moderate depression and mild anxiety. I'm pretty sure that the depression has gotten worse. I was just sitting in my room crying and wishing I was dead, wishing I wasn't so useless. It started earlier today when I got an e-mail from the college I was supposed to attend soon. I needed to pay some type of fee that I didn't have the money for. I started getting stressed out and angry. I really want to go to college, but I can't afford it. I told my mom and showed her the e-mail. then I started saying that maybe I shouldn't go to college because I can't afford the fees. My mom got mad and she got fed up with it, she told me to either get a job or move out. I mean I don't have the money to move out because I'm bad at saving money. I don't want to live with my father because he doesn't have the room. I don't want to bother my relatives for help because I'm just a lazy, useless, good for nothing kid, I don't want to bother them with my bull********. I honestly don't know what to do. I've thought about leaving so many times, or just ending it all so they don't have to deal with me being a waste of space and resources. I need help, but I don't know who to ask or where to go. I know my problems are insignificant to people who have it worse than me. I just need some help or advice. Someone.....please help...

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through such a difficult time right now.
    One option you could consider is seeing if you have any other friends in the area that may allow you to stay with them for a while. Another option may be a shelter or transitional living program. If you would like our help looking for shelters or transitional living programs please give us a call. You may also look at shelters in your area by looking online at The National Homeless Directory .org. You can also call United Way at 211 which may also be able to give you shelter resources.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am 18 and i got kicked out my house. My friend was kind enough to let me in her house but now her mom don’t want me at her new house for some reason. I don’t know what to do at all. I don’t have no family members that will take me and I feel helpless. Please help.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X