No announcement yet.

On behaf of my best friend.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • On behaf of my best friend.

    Me and my best friend are both 17. She lives in an extremely abusive household. Her dad doesnt treat her or the family great all. In an attempt to get rid of me, the father took her phone away and took a 2 week vacation to california. We live in illinois. While I know getting emacipated at 17 is near impossible, would I be able to call annonymously to report the abuse in the household? She suffers from mild depression, has had anxiety, and doesnt want to leave the house because she gets disciplined every time the father doesnt know exactly what happened. His discipline is hitting her, calling her a piece of trash, and taking her phone. When she asks for her phone back, she gets hit again. There is no physical mark, ever. Because of the vacation to see family, shes around all of the fathers family, meaning if she does something wrong, he gives her a smack in the face in secret.
    Now, here is the real problem. When she turns 18, her dad has already threatened her not to leave the house. He said if she left, he would call the police, 18 or not. Would he be able to do this? He has a masive gun collection and is not afraid to shoot one either. He has had runins with the cops before and nothing has happened. Is there any way I could prevent him from getting his guns and fists involved? The dad isnt biological but the mom is. My mom has already said she can move in with me.

  • #2
    re: On behaf of my best friend.

    Hey there,

    Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like your friend is going through a pretty tough time and she is very lucky to have you to reach out to different resources for her. Always remember that we are always here to listen and to help you in the best way we can.

    From what you shared, it sounds like your friend is getting abused pretty badly, no one ever deserves to be treated this way, especially in the comfort of their own home. We are not completely sure whether an abuse report could be made anonymously, but it is something that you can definitely try. In Illinois, there is a hotline called CCBYS which basically stands for Comprehensive Community Based Youth Services. It is a hotline where you would be able to call and the hotline would be able to provide you with the agency that serves your area, or your friend’s area. With this information, you would be able to call this agency and see how they would respond to this youth and whether they can take a child abuse report anonymously. As far as being 18 and leaving home, her father would not be able to force her to stay home, because in Illinois, once a youth is 18, they are able to decide where they want to live.

    It sounds like you are a great friend and she is very lucky to have you. We hope that you are able to give her this piece of information and pass along our number to her. If at any point, any of you would want to speak more about the situation, please feel free to give us a call to our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat program which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you and your friend decide to do.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif