No announcement yet.

im 17 turning 18 in 3 months can i leave home

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • im 17 turning 18 in 3 months can i leave home

    I live in Missouri and my father has never really been around. Lateley he has stayed with us and we always argue and he's always threatening to harm me. The other day he took me and my 6 year old brother somewhere and got high on a unknown drug(his behavior indecaded something like herorine?) So I decided to leave. I told my mom I won't stay there as long as he lives with us and from the looks of it he's not going anywhere. I can stay with my grandma or my girlfriend and I will still attend school, but she threatened to call the police on me. Can I leave in this scenario?

  • #2
    Re: im 17 turning 18 in 3 months can i leave home

    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like things at home with your family have been pretty tough. You shared that your dad has recently been staying with you, although he has not really been in your life consistently and it sounds like this is causing a lot of stress, understandably. We’re here to help out as much as we can.

    So from what you have shared, it sounds like you believe your dad has been using drugs based on the way that he has been acting around you and your brother. It is understandable that you would want to leave after this incident, it sounds like you were not feeling safe with him. You shared that you told your mom you do not want to live there while he is still there, did she say whether or not she will reach some sort of compromise about this? If you are ever feeling unsafe at home, which it sounds like this was the case, you can call Child Protective Services of your state or call Child Help USA at (800) 422 4453 to make a report. If this is something you would like us to help you with, you can call us any time at 1800runaway and we can make a call out with you as well.

    Caring about an individual that abuses drugs and/or alcohol can be really tough. It is not only hard on the user, it is hard on those around them as well. It sounds like this has been effecting you negatively, to the point that you have left home. There is an organization called Al Anon/ Ala Teen that is for loved ones of individuals active in addiction or in recovery that you can look into more here:

    It sounds like you have ideas of safe places that you would go to, and it is really good to know that you have got that support from your girlfriend and your grandma. We’re not legal experts, but if your mom were to call the police if you did leave home, she would likely be able to make a runaway report because she did not give you permission to be away from home. If a report is made, and the police find you, they just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. Each case is different, and the way that the police proceed depends on circumstances. One option you have is to contact your local police department and just ask hypothetically what may happen. You do not have to give identifying information (your name, address, etc.) to do this. If you would like assistance calling out, you can call us here and we can do this step for you or along with you.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat with us if you want to talk further. We’re here to help as much as we can.

    Good luck and stay safe,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif