Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 18 and I can't take it any more.

You can call me A. I'm not the perfect child, and I never believed I could be, but I'm not that bad. I don't put my parents down, I don't try and shame them. All I've ever done is try, and I can't anymore. My parents never wanted me, and for 18 years they've made sure to know I'm the reason they're forced to live as they do. My mom isn't as bad as my dad, he always say's how I'm the one who ruined his life, that I'm the reason he was forced to marry my mom. Now that I'm 18 it's gotten worse. He constantly yells at me and says I need to get a job and start being useful. I was fired from my first job, and right now the job economy is terrible, I've been trying, he doesn't care.
    My parents have been telling me how to live my life since I was 12, I don't have a single word in what happens. They never once noticed my depression, anxiety, or the fact that I used to cut myself.
    I want to run away, even if it means not seeing those I care for. I'd stay in contact with some friends, but I just can't have my parents deciding my life anymore. They haven't let me get my license because they don't want me to have the freedom to do things on my own. I've been thinking about running away for a few years now, the only thing keeping me from doing so was the fact I was still in school. I graduated though, so now I don't have that holding me back.

RE: I'm 18 and I can't take it any more.

Hello A,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like home life has been difficult for quite some time. We can only imagine how hurtful it may be to hear those things from your parents. It seems that you are trying to find work and take care of yourself, but it seems that it has been a challenge and you are feeling unsupported by your parents. You mentioned that you have struggled with depression, anxiety, and self-injury since you were 12 but feel that nobody is aware or may understand. We are wondering if you have you reached out to anyone else who can be of support to you such as other family members, trusted friends, or counselors/therapists. We are always here for you to listen and to help too. Additionally, you can reach out to the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to speak with someone about depression and gain support.

You also mentioned that you are planning to run away from home. We are not legal experts, but at the age of 18 which is the age of majority in most states, you are able to legally leave home. You would not be considered a runaway if you decided to do so. Safety is important regardless of age. If you were able to call our crisis line or reach out by chat, we would be happy to listen and help you out as best as we can. We may also be able to find some resources in your area to help you find a safe place to stay if you had nowhere else to go. You can reach us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.
    We wish you well and hope you reach out soon.

Be safe and take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X