No announcement yet.

17 and pregnant

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 and pregnant

    I am now 17 and pregnant. I have went threw years and years of mental abuse. I've dealt with more family issues then any kid should ever. I've had to pull my father off of my mother from beating her, and also had to find my mother over dosed while my father was out of town, but luckily she lived. I am going threw more mental abuse now that I'm pregnant then I ever have. My father cusses me and calls me names when he gets drunk, and sometimes when he isn't drunk. I want to move in with my grandmother where I feel safe. I live in the state of Mississippi. Can I move out without parents concent ?

  • #2
    17 and pregnant

    Hello there,

    Thank you for sharing your situation with us, it sounds like things are extremely difficult at home. Of course you have the right to feel safe physically and emotionally in your home and it sounds like you may have found a safe and supportive environment with your grandparents. Have you talked to your parents and grandparents about moving? At NRS we are available 24/7 and are confidential and are available to discuss this conversation with you if helpful.

    Unfortunately, we are not legal experts at NRS and every situation is different so it is difficult to guess how your situation would be handled if you left home without your parent’s consent. Typically for youth under 18 years old if they leave home their legal guardians can file a runaway report with the police which can have legal consequences for the adults they stay with (such as potentially your grandparents) called harboring a runaway. However since you are pregnant and close to 18 years old the law may be different in your situation.

    The Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project (601-960-9577) may be able to answer any questions you have about how your specific situation would be handled. Planned Parenthood in Las Vegas may also have legal resources and support for you.

    In response to your dad’s abuse when is intoxicated you may find it helpful to reach out to which has resources for family members of individuals who struggle with alcohol.

    We also have additional resources at NRS if this is not what you are looking for. We encourage you to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat service at as we are here to help in anyway we can.

    Best of Luck,
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 06-16-2015, 02:17 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif