Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help, about to run away

i feel very suicidal, and i have already cut my wrist, not deep enough for anything serious. i have a plan to run away, i know where to go, and i left a note saying im going to a friends. will the cops get involved? im very scared to come back home.

RE: please help, about to run away

Hello there –

Thank you so much for getting in touch with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public bulletin board. Sounds like you are through a lot of stress right now living at home. Seems like thinks have been getting overwhelming to the point where you ate harming yourself. Have you ever talked to anyone else about that? There are always people to talk to when you’re feeling this way. Different hotlines like the “National Suicide Hotline” or even our NRS hotline, can help you talk and work through some of those feelings that you have been having lately. If you ever feel like you are going to seriously hurt yourself or even someone else, you should feel free to contact the local police to come and checkup on you. You are certainly not alone in this.

Like we tell a lot of our callers, the laws on that specific subject of running away vary from state to state, so our advice would be call your local non-emergency police number to get more information on that. You could ask hypothetical questions that they can answer for you. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home.

This is of course if you had any interaction with the police directly or if they stopped you to ask you a few questions. So with that in mind, it is possible for the police to get involve if your parents contact them. They might even be able to come to your friend’s house directly to pick you up, if your parents know which friend you might have gone to.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you about what has been going on recently that is making you want to leave home. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org).
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X