No announcement yet.

Im 15 turning 16 and want to move in with my old foster care parent.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im 15 turning 16 and want to move in with my old foster care parent.

    hi i live in connecticut I want to move in with my foster care parent but i dont know where to start. My dad tricked me into moving back with him and its been hell here I used to live in a nice town now I live with my dad in a ghetto town and my dad barely makes enough to afford anything. Hes on wellfare and i cant stand being poor. I had DCF come in but they didnt do anything amd i just want to leave and be happy once again. Is there anything I can do legally to get out

  • #2
    RE: Im 15 turning 16 and want to move in with my old foster care parent.


    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. We are sorry to hear that your dad tricked you to living with him and now you are not in a great situation. It sounds like you were happy with your foster parent and it is understandable that you would want to go back with them. It sounds like they were able to provide for you and support you in a way that your dad is not. We are glad that you reached out to us and we are here to listen and support you in what ways we can.

    You mentioned that you want to live with your dad but you are wanting to move back in with your foster parent. We are unsure if your dad resumed legal custody of you or if you are just living with him. We are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms what could happen if you were to leave. Generally you must stay with your legal guardian until the age of 18. If you decide to leave before then your legal guardian can file a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. If you were to leave then the person that you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway.

    It sounds like you really don’t want to be with your dad and that you would be happier with your foster parent. On option you have is talking to your dad about how living with the foster parent is better for you but that you would make an effort to see him (if that is something that you want). Its great that your foster parent was supportive of you, maybe you could talk with them and they would be able to brainstorm ideas of how to help to live with them. They may have some insight on how the system works. Another option you have is to call us on our hotline and use our conference call service. This allows for both of your voices to be heard and for there to be a mediator, us at NRS.

    Also, because you had provided us with your state we would like to offer some legal resources where you might be able to get some of those legal questions answered. Here at NRS we are not legal experts, but possibly these resources can better assist you.

    New Haven Legal Assistance Association Agency
    Hotline: 800-453-3320
    Office: 203-946-4811

    We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can always give us a call or chat with us on our website. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif