I'm 13, I hate my family and I want to leave.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 13- and life is becoming a burden

I've never really had a good relationship with my family, my brother abuses me verbally, and physically. My mother has complete disregard for my privacy or my feelings, and my father the is always at work. So, I do not have a very strong bond. I have no friends to reach to, so I'm stuck here by myself. I have been diagnosed with depression before, I contemplated suicide and lost touch with my feelings. It got so bad, I was so exhausted of living with my family that I did end up running away. But, my mom did find me and didn't seem to care why I ran away, she just cussed me out for it. I feel often as though my worth is based on the way I look and my grades in school, that's what I've been lead to believe by the way I'm treated by my family. My mother and my brother are the main cause of my 0 self-esteem, constantly telling me what I should fix, why I do this, why I don't do this, to do this, do that, everything is just constant policing and criticizing. Unlike most kids, I actually enjoy school. Mostly because it helps keep me out of the house. Coming home is my least favorite part of the day. My mother always seems mad at me, and my brother just hurts me for no apparent reason. My dad is really the only there to comfort me, but as I mentioned before he's never really around anyway. Now, I do want to specify that I did not right to this sight to complain about my life. I have a roof over my head, food, and a warm place to sleep. I wrote this comment so I could get advice on my mental health so I don't contemplate suicide again, or try to run away again. I feel like a mess right now, so this was my last resort for help.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You deserve to feel loved and supported at home. We are glad school is a place you feel safe and are happy there. It seems like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• I'm 13- and I feel like my life is a burden

Before I say this I want to specify this is not to complain about my problems. I am grateful for what I have, I have a roof over my head, I have food and water, and a place to sleep. I wrote this as a last resort for advice on my mental health.

I've never really had a good relationship with my family, my brother is physically and mentally abusive, my mother abuses her power as a parent and gives me no privacy, and my dad is at work 99% of the time. So, most of the time I just sit alone in my room. I have been diagnosed with depression before, and I've tried to talk to people, but I always get, "your not depressed, your just dramatic, stop acting dumb", I never feel like someones there for me. I build up others and help them with their problems, but why is no one ever there for me? I have run away before, my depression got so bad. I was so tired of living with my family. They were toxic to my mental health. Although it didn't last long, my mom found me. She didn't really care why I ran away, she just cussed me out for it. They ask me why I never leave my room, but why leave when all you do is tell me how awful I am and what I need to fix, or do this do that?

I have no friends to turn to, they've all faded away after elementary. I feel so alone, like i'm drowning and the water is everyone around me. I feel like I have no purpose, I try to trust in god that he'll get me out and show me my purpose. But, sometimes even when you know the truth, it's blurred by what your seeing in the present moment. I try not to focus too much on, "some day it'll get better", because if you focus too much on the future or past you can only make your situation worse. The most important time is now, which is why I need help. I've contemplated suicide before, every day I'm sad, I feel worthless, I want to die... but, I keep going. The only reason why I keep going is because I try to remember that every day god wakes you up, is a day of purpose that you should never take for granted.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. This may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• I'm 15 i hate my mom i really want to leave my home.

My mom is SO RUDE she does not do drugs or any bad stuff she is just REALLY RUDE AND YELLS at me and my older sister. Its HORRIBLE living here with my mom, luckily my dad is nice and calm unllke my HORRIBE MOTHER. ShE IS THE WORST. And I can't deal with her anymore its just COMPLETELY HORRIBLE.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad that you have decided to reach out to us!

We are sorry to hear that you are having issues with your mother, you and your sibling do not deserve to be treated poorly. One option to consider is trying to talk to your mom about the way she treats you and how it is affecting you and your sibling. Another option could be to have you dad speak to her and see if that changes anything.

You can also try some ways to cope such as journaling your feelings, or taking deep breaths. If you would like to explore options or need to talk more about this please give us a call or chat with us. We are available to you 24/7. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• 14 and I wanna leave my family
    I hate my life and my family. I used to get hit as a kid but I thought was normal to make it even worse my mom after hitting me would tell me it was my fault I got hit. I used to get hit with chargers which imprint scars that last for a long time. My siblings get hit too. When I was about 11 I was a good girl but my brother wasn't and so my mom would tie up my brother and hit him with a charger and then live him in the basement in the dark. I also tried running away before but I got caught. I also tried to call the police on them but my parents hid me when the police came to the neighborhood. I get scared by my mom. I don't know if she's good. I feel unsafe with her. I know she's a nice mother but she's really scary and controlling. She doesn't hit me anymore but she calls me names and stuff. I got so mad at her one day I tried to kill her. Yeah, I'm a terrible daughter. I hate myself. Anyways I grew up in Somalia and kids used to get hit in school and so of course I thought getting hit was normal. I know this was long ago but my parents would be hitting e today if I wasn't so big and strong. When I say strong I mean I stand up for myself. But sometimes it becomes hard with my guilt-tripping me. She cries and my siblings would get mad at me when she cries and blames it on me. I remember one day when I told my friend I called the police on my mom they were Somalian so I'm sure they got hit too and so they were disgusted by me. I don't get hit anymore but my mom threatens me like she would get a mop and try to scare me when I do something bad. I just wanna leave this family or die. I hate myself. I'm a terrible person to still have feelings of my past hittings. My siblings get hit but not me not since I called the police. It's just been a few hits and stuff and not the charger or the terrible hitting that make my body hurt. I can't really remember my hits but I know I can't remember it because it happened often or maybe it's because of my terrible memory. I have a good life but I just don't feel safe. In the summer my family and I will go on a vacation and I'm scared I'll be abandoned there. If I'm missing it's probably I runaway during vacation. I just feel like if I leave this family I'll be free. My life is just a loop inside a torture house. My siblings get hit and I think that's why I wanna leave because I don't wanna see them get hit. Just kill me already and let me be reincarnated in a new life.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,
      Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad that you have decided to reach out. It sounds like you are a really strong person for having to deal with all of that trauma.

We know you mentioned abuse and you and your sibling do not deserve that and we are sorry you have had to deal with that. Even yelling and threatening you can be seen as emotional abuse. It was super brave of you for contacting the police, we are glad to hear that you tried to protect yourself. You can also file an abuse report by calling Child Help at 1800-422-4453. You can also contact us by chat or phone 24/7 and we would be happy to help with filing an abuse report.

We know you mentioned that you feel like a horrible person and feel guilty for thinking bad things about your mom, it is understandable to feel upset. You are not a horrible person for thinking these things, you have been through a lot in your life. We are glad that you are here today to share your story, and you are helping others who may be in similar situations. If you are ever feeling suicidal or just need someone to talk to please reach out to The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. They are available 24/7 to support you in whatever you need.

We hope this information will be able to help you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck!

Stay strong

• Hi I am 12 and me and my friend are planning on running from home due to living in unstable environments. We are wondering if we could enroll in school without guardians. We both have never liked home and my family is going through alot. I really want to finish school and im not planning on ever coming back home. I also habe suicidal thoughts but no pressure to do it my friend does though. we just want to finish school for the most part and find a place to stay

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you and your friend are going through a difficult situation, we want you to know you are not alone.

We are not experts on how enrollment works, but most schools do require a legal guardian’s permission to enroll. You could consider talking to a school counselor to see what your options are. It is great that you both want to finish school, shows that you both are motivated.

We know that you mentioned you and your friend having suicidal thoughts, we are glad you both are here today to share your story. By sharing on this forum post, you are helping others who may be in similar situations. If you or your friend need support or are feeling suicidal please reach out to The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at: 1800-273-8255. There is always someone willing to provide support and always someone willing to listen.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available 24/7. We wish you both the best of luck!
      NRS

• I hate my life so much I can’t deal with it I get hurt for doing nothing I just sit there but I can’t do anything about cause my dads reputation as a pastor who cares for his children will be ruined I am 13 and I’m going to kill my self before they get to kill me

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. It seems like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.

We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. It can be incredibly difficult to speak about being harmed at home, especially if you are worried you won't be believed or that you would be hurting your parent's reputation. We want you to know that you deserve to be helped and there is nothing wrong with asking for help when you don't feel safe. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to child protective services. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

Be safe,

NRS

• im 13 and dont want to live with my mom no more i want to be free long as i have my phone right now i really wanna be alone or not with my bs family

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation with us. It sounds like there is a lot that you are faced with at home right now and it's been getting overwhelming. It can be incredibly difficult when the adults in our lives are not supportive or do not make us feel safe, so it is understandable you would want space from them. We want you to know that you are not alone in this and we are here to listen and help as much as possible. Reaching out was a really good first step to getting the support that you deserve.

You mentioned that you are wanting to leave home. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Child Help is a resource that advocates for youth in dangerous or unsafe situations and they can tell you more about how CPS might be able to help. You can contact them by phone at 1-800-422-4453 or through live chat at www.childhelp.org.

Often having a safe space to explore how you are feeling can bring about solutions not previously thought of. We are available for immediate support 24/7 by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or through live chat at 1800runaway.org. We can talk more in detail about your situation, explore all of your possible options, and come up with a plan that you feel comfortable with.

We hope to hear from you soon,
      NRS

• hey im 13 years old and i dont know what to do

around 4 months ago i moved in with my dad for some bad grades and it was ehh for the first week or so but we got into arguments constantly. I want to go back to my mom because i believe i can get better grades but i only see her 4 to 6 days a month. But i cant leave because my dad said its "not my choice". so i dont know what to do? do i just run away or do i go to court which my mom doesnt really have the money for an attourney. Please help me and give some advice on what to do

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like things are tense between you and your dad, and it’s understandable you’d be feeling trapped and looking for a way out of that environment.

One resource that might be helpful is a free or low-cost legal aid clinic. This would give you or your mom access to an attorney who can advise on the custody situation. If you give NRS a call at 1-800-786-2929, we can help you find legal aid resources in your area.

Another idea would be to ask another adult, like a counselor or other family member, to help you talk to your dad about how you’ve been feeling, and how to make things less tense for you at home. At NRS, we can help you find counselors or therapists in your area, and we also offer a parent conference call service in which one of our trained volunteers mediates a conversation between a youth and their parents to make sure everyone stays respectful and you have a chance to be heard. We help find areas where parents and youth can compromise (like on house rules) and come to an agreement. If you’d like to learn more, feel free to give us a call.

We’re not legal experts, but in general, if you’re under 18 and leave home without your parent or guardian’s permission, they can report you as a runaway to police and that gives the police the right to find you and bring you home. If you do decide to run away, the most important thing is having a safety plan. We hear from many youth who find themselves in really dangerous or scary situations after leaving home.

If you’d like to call or chat us, we are happy to talk through some of those potential risks and brainstorm some possible options. It shows a lot of maturity that you are reaching out for help before making your next move. We are here for you any time.

Best,
      NRS

• Im 11 and i wish i were dead

I have hated my life since I was just a little kid, I am abused every day for something didn't do all the time. And when we got a baby sister life got a whole lot worse, all anyone ever f****** cared about was my baby sister, and when I FINALLY got attention all I got in response was "do your work, I don't care now shutup, and your weird like nobody is ever going to like you." Like what kind of parents say this to "motivate" their kid. like you say its for my own good, but is having pleasure out of my suffering really my own good? I tried talking to my parents about it but all I get is a pat on the back like they don't care about me wanting to die.ive tried running away but my mom just shrugged and was like ok that's fine with me. What can I do, to stop this s*** because I cant take anymore of this nonsense

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You do not deserve to be talked to like that. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      It sounds like you are thinking about harming yourself or ending your life. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you.  You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• My brother is making my life absolute hell. He is ruining my life. He is lazy, stupid, rude, and doesn't care about anyone's feelings. When he upsets my mum, I get upset and lash out, which makes it worse. He doesn't understand that his actions have negative consequences or that there are other people in the world apart from him. He has made me depressed, like really depressed. He is the worst human being alive and I want to run away and never see or speak to him again. So in short...he made(and is still making) my life hell.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there, thanks for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you’re going through a challenging time with your brother, and we’re glad you reached out.
      Unfortunately, we don’t know your city/state in order to provide local resources, but here are a few general options. We can provide more specific resources to you if you can use our ONLINE CHAT SERVICE or call our HOTLINE.

We offer a Conference Call service if you call us and want help talking to your mum. We stay on the line and help make certain your voice is heard in a calm way. We can help you and your mum understand each other by guiding the call. This can sometimes be a way to open up the lines of communication when families are feeling stuck and could help you feel heard with your mum when it comes to feeling depressed or upset by your brother.

You mentioned experiencing depression and sometimes talking through emotions and exploring options with a trusted adult can be useful. You might consider talking to a counselor or trusted teacher or school counselor.

National Safe Place to find safe spaces for youth at https://www.nationalsafeplace.org/find-a-safe-place

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress. 1-800-273-8255 or their online chat service at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/.

We are LIMITED in the Number of Times we can respond Via the FORUM so if you’d like further contact, please instead contact us via our ONLINE CHAT SERVICE at www.1800runaway.org (click on the CHAT button) OR our HOTLINE at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We are available 24/7. We are here for you and wish you all the best, NRS

• Hi,
    I'm 14 years old and I'm about to turn 15 in a little less then a month. My have has always been extremely toxic, I really dont know what to do. I am legally allowed to move out when I'm 18 however I dont see myself living that long. My mom and twin sister says I would be better off gone and my mom told me I am what's wrong with this family. So it seems my only option is to runaway, I know the consequences of doing so but everything seems hopeless. I know we all would be happy if I took a long break from my family. Can you please help me what can I do to runaway and be safe while doing so? thank you very much.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thanks for reaching out to the NRS. We're sorry to hear that you're being treated poorly at home, and you deserve to be somewhere that makes you feel wanted and safe.

It's good that you had the initiative to decide and reach out to us about safety and legal considerations before taking action. We aren't legal experts here at NRS, but like you said, because you are 14, you are still a minor. It is within your parents' rights to file a missing persons report if you go off the radar, and it is possible that if you stay with another adult that they will be in trouble for harboring you. One way to get around these legal tangles is seeking emancipation. Minors between 14-16, depending on the state, can apply for emancipation which means that you have legal independence from your parents or guardians.

That said, if you are still committed to running away, there are a number of other considerations you should keep in mind. One is where you will be staying. Will it be with another family member or perhaps a friend? If you don't have a place to go, there are youth homeless shelters we can help you find if you connect with us over call or chat. However, these locations are not usually long-term. When you find a place to go, do you have a reliable means of transporting yourself there? Also, how do you plan on supporting yourself financially once you leave home? In these sorts of situations, it's important to consider all the variables that come witha big decision. One way to best flesh out one of these situations is talking to a tresuted adult or even a friend about what you're feeling and what you are planning to do.

If you have more questions or just want to talk about your situation more with one of our representatives, feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

• My parents are very toxic in my opinion. For some time I thought my parents were just strict because they bought me stuff I wanted and took us places but soon after research I found out they are very toxic. They are very disrespectful to me and my siblings talking to us and treating us like if we have no freedoms, opinion or choices. They don't beat us or anything but they emotionally abuse us and are also very controlling. They do not allow me a 13 year old male to have any privacy or safe space. I am a gay teen and my mom found out after looking though my phone one morning and seeing my messages with a close friend that I trust. My mom says she is ok but will not allow me to express myself in any way, she has also told a few family members after I asked her not to because "Its her way of dealing with the news". They both are very demanding and will not take the blame for anything and find any way to blame me or my sister. They also will make us do whatever they want us to do and not care about anything we were doing before. They both don't care for explanations and will find any way to make us feel like we aren't doing enough and need to do better. They love calling me and my siblings mocking names and make jokes about us constantly. I feel really sad and depressed when I have to be with them at home because of their constant screaming and arguing at one another or at us. I feel like technology is my only escape and my room is my only place to be somewhat peaceful and calm. They do love limiting our electronic time. The wifi will turn off at 8:30 every day, and the smallest thing they don't like they will punish us by taking our only happy place away from us. EX: Today my mom looked at my grades 2 D's, 3 C's 3 B's and they know I've been struggling with Math and my ELA teacher hasn't graded anything yet but they decided that I will not get my stuff back until my grades go up. They also blame me when something happens to my younger siblings because they aren't paying attention and are watching TikTok or Youtube. What do I do I just feel alone, sad and trapped?

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      We are glad you reached out to us for help. It sounds very stressful in your house and it makes sense that you are feeling isolated and trapped. It can be very depressing and lonely to be in a family situation that is so controlling and emotionally oppressive.

It sounds like you are comfortable with your sexual identity and that the issue is more of having control and say in how and when that is discussed. It makes perfect sense that you want to be the one who determines how and under what circumstances your personal issues are discussed.

We know that at 13 it might not seem like you have many options or actions you can take to impact your parent’s “parenting”. There are resources for you who can help you find some coping mechanisms, develop plans to get different results with your parents and support you as you navigate these difficult and stressful times. We would like to discuss those with you.

You can reach out to us for a chat through our website or call us on our crisis hotline at (800) RUNAWAY. Both are available 24/7 and are completely confidential. Once we get some more details, we will help you develop a plan to deal with your home life and family situation. We will also help you access resources available in your community to support you.

We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.

• im 14 and me and my mom arent close she makes everything into an argument. everything was a-okay up until i turned 11 to come out and told her that i was sexually assaulted by my bio dad. she started treating me so differently than my brother than tries to guilt trip me by crying. i cant do this anymore and wanna live with my gma but i just know neither my step dad or mom wont allow me to. please help.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now.  We are so sorry to hear that you have experienced sexual violence. You do not deserve to have this happen to you, and you deserve to be believed and supported. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to www.rainn.org to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

You mentioned wanting to live with your grandma instead which is understandable if you do not feel safe or supported at home. A helpful start may be to speak with your grandma about this. Maybe she can help you communicate how you are feeling to your mom and advocate for your needs. Another option would be to go through child protective services if your safety is a concern. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation.

We hope to hear from you soon,
      NRS

• I am not feeling happy im being compared to i cant wear certain things im being forced to do things and still has no rights in the house i dont feel i belong there i wanna leave as soon as possible

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I'm 13, and I hate my family.
    I just feel like everyday my family hate me more and more, and they just don't understand me.
    I feel like they make me feel miserable on purpose, and I ********ing hate it.
    I just see myself dead on the floor, and my family not giving a ********.
    I want to commit suicide, but I could miss a big opportunity in my life.
    I want to run away, but where would I go?
    My other family members would just try to get me to go back home..

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now. It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
      By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Other options to think about may be other family members, friends, or a trusted adults that would be able to provide you with support or a safe place to stay. It is great that you thinking ahead. Should you feel like leaving home is best, it may be a good idea to think about how you will provide necessities for yourself such as food, clothing, showers, healthcare and other basic needs. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.

Be safe and stay strong,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X