No announcement yet.

Moving out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving out

    I live in Utah and I’m 16 turning 17 in 3 months. My sister has basically abomdoned her 1 1/5 year old son at my house where my mom watches him all day everyday. She is also adopting my sisters baby she is currently pregnant with. I don’t have a good enough reason to get emancipated but I really want to leave my house. It’s stressful living here and it’s effcting my life outside of home too.
    Are there alternatives to emancipation. What can I do.

  • #2
    Thanks you reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like really want to leave your home. In the state of Utah, the age in which a person can move out without their parent’s consent is 18. It seems like you are interested in what options you have for leaving home besides emancipation. The easiest way to leave home as a minor would be to get your parent’s permission. You could ask your mom if she would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. If you feel unsafe at home, you could contact Child Protective Services, they would do an investigation and if they find that you live in an unsafe living environment, they would remove you from your home. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929). We hope this information helps, good luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp