• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod5
    replied
    re: move out at 17

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help you in the best way we can. From what you shared, it seems like you are not comfortable at home and are ready to leave.

Generally the age of an adult is 18, if you were to leave home/not go with them to call your parents could file a runaway report with the police. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you cannot be arrested, just brought back home if found. However, anyone that you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor offense. The charges for that can vary from fines to jail time.

It sounds like you are a pretty mature person for your age, that is very impressive and it’s also impressive that you are reaching out to us and seeing what your options are. We are also here to just listen and to talk about your situation. If at any point you feel like you need to reach out to us, just feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we are available 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest started a topic move out at 17

move out at 17

Hi, I'm 17 about to turn 18 in less than two months. I really want to move out my house right now. I constantly argue with my little sister who is 16 and doesn't understand how money should be spent. And my dad let's her do whatever she wants such as spending nights at friends houses and stuff while I can't even go to the mall with my friend. I have a job and help pay with the bills and everything. I was wondering can't I just move out without permission at all and not having to wait until I'm 18. I just want to make sure I don't get in trouble.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X