Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I move out at 17 if I graduated high school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I move out at 17 if I graduated high school?

Right know I'm 16 years old and it's getting harder to live at home.
    my mom will start arguments about nonsense and accuse me of saying something that I never did.
    My dad doesn't understand English that well and because he doesn't, he will misunderstand and take his anger out on me.
    It's doing nothing but stressing me out and I can't take it. My boyfriend said that he and his aunt would take me in after I graduate which is next school year.
    I can't stand living here anymore I've never been so stressed and I can't help but feel like I'm not even important.
    I know that they are still legally my parents and have a say in all of it but if I don't have any school and has obviously proven that I can hold down a job and know the basics of living out side of my parents home would it be possible to move out?

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you’re going through a lot at home and we're really sorry about that. It's great that you have support from your boyfriend and his family members, though!

Since you are under the age of 18 and still a minor, there is a process called emancipation, which is when the courts will declare you legally an adult, even if you’re a minor. Typically, this process requires showing that you can live independently and financially support yourself; however, the process can be very time consuming. If you’re interested in pursuing emancipation, it would be good to contact a Legal Aid group in your area.

Other than emancipation, some options you could consider is talking to a friend, family member, or even a trusted adult about the situation. Maybe they can help mediate something or give you some resources or advice!

If you have any more questions or want to talk, you can call us at 1800RUNAWAY. We’re open 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help as best as we can!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I need help im 17 im graduating in like a week my birthday isnt until September can i get in trouble for leaving? Please help me i need answers asap

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        We hope to hear from you soon.

I really want to move out. I’m 17 and graduate this year and basically have little to no freedom at all, I can’t stand this place anymore I thought once I got older things would change but it’s only gotten worse, I’m graduating in the state of Tennessee what would happen if I just moved out after I graduated? My birthday isn’t until August...

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
        NRS

Hello, I graduate high school at the end of this school year, 2022. I will be 17 when i graduate and I will turn 18 in October. My guardian says that I can move out after I graduate high school because I am adopted and legally they don't have a say because I graduated high school so their contract is up? Long story short I do not get along with my adoptive Mother most of the time. She is very much a narcissist and very very controlling. My adoptive father I have no problem with. I cannot grow and be the best version of myself in a toxic household though. I would like to move out as soon as I can. I do not have a job because my mother will not let me work, I do not have my license or a car either. I have no incoming income, I have some money in a savings account. I want to move out of state with a friend but I'm not sure what I can and can't do. Otherwise I want to move into an apartment in the area I live in, or with a friend who will be 19. I'm stuck because I need to get out, but without an income, a car, and my age being in the way I have no idea what to do. I have looked on what an emancipation does and I'm almost positive my adoptive mother wont let me get one. So what can I do about an income, moving out? I'm stuck. I don't have help from any other adults besides my few friends who are 18+.

Comment

• ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        Thank you for reaching out; we are glad that you did. As far as being able to move out, that depends on your adoptive parents. If you leave and they decide to file a runaway report with police because you are under the age of majority for your state, that is what makes you a runaway.
        Emancipation would be difficult without a job because a judge needs proof of an income capable of you fully supporting yourself. As far as other options, we can look up shelter resources for you, but if you are under the age of majority, your adoptive parents would have to give their consent for you to use the shelter program.
        We do hope that you will reach out to either our phone hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat us through this website so that we can have a conversation about ideas and supports that may be available.
        We truly hope to hear from you soon.
        Sincerely,
        NRS

Hello, when I graduate this year I'm still going to be 17 but my birthday is in July and I graduate in June, Can I leave then or do I have to wait until July to move?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We understand that these can be confusing issues, and we commend you for reaching out for help.

We understand that the laws regarding runaway youth can be complicated. While we are not legal experts, we can share our general understanding of the issue. It is not illegal for youth to runaway— it is something called a status offense, or something you cannot do because of your age. If you a youth leaves home without their parent’s permission, their parents may report them to the police as a runaway. You know best whether your parents would report you as a runaway. Additionally, local police responses can vary by jurisdiction, so it may be an option to contact your local police to learn more about local laws and how they respond to runaway cases.

Depending on the situation at home, it may be beneficial to talk to your parents or guardians about your desire to move out. Sometimes, it helps to have a neutral third party involved to de-escalate conflict and allow you to express your needs. Some options could include trusted family or even a school guidance counselor. NRS also offers a conference call service in which we can be a neutral third party on a phone call with you and your parents or guardians.

Other important considerations for youth who leave home before the age of 18 relate to employment and housing. Some landlords and/or rental companies may not be able to rent to a youth under 18 without a parent’s permission. If you’d like to talk more we are happy to discuss your specific situation more if contact us directly by phone or live chat. We are available 24/7 by chat and our phone hotline.

Best,
        NRS

Hi I live in Washington, I am going to be 17 this month and will graduate school in may. Can I leave in may will the police presue my runaway if I ran away since I’m 17 and graduated?

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
        While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission, even if you've graduated. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
        The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
        If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        Be safe,
        NRS

I am 16 years old, and I am graduating with the seniors. I already have been accepted to the college of my choice that I am going to next fall. I won't be 18 until February 2023, and I cannot apply for emancipation because it will just make this worse at home. I live in Ohio and I want to know what I can do to leave at 17 other than emancipation

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation & acceptance to college! It sounds like you have questions regarding leaving home at the age of 17 outside of emancipation. While we cannot tell you what to do, we can share information that may help you figure out your next steps.

We are not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you are considered a minor in your state, you need to consent of a parent or legal guardian to leave home, otherwise they can report you as a runaway to your local police department. One option you have is to discuss moving out with your parents. Sometimes, having a neutral third party to help mediate the situation may help with this conversation, and if you have someone in mind, it may help to bring them. We also offer three way calls between youth and legal guardians to help mediate any conversation you might want to have. If you are interested in exploring other legal options, your local Legal Aid office might be able to provide guidance specific to your state.

Whatever you decide, please know that we are here to support you. Although we cannot tell you what to do, we will do our best to help you explore options that can keep you safe. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X