•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod11
    replied
    RE: I don't want to live with my parents and im 17

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a lot at home with your parents and that you are feeling alone. That must be difficult.

You mention that your dad yells at you a lot and you have dealt with it in the past by cutting yourself. It also sounds like you are thinking about cutting yourself again, but that you are also hesitant to do that. A good resource to help you find other ways of dealing with your stressful situation is www.twloha.org

You also mentioned that your dad has threatened to put his hands on you and that he did when you were younger. You don’t deserve to be treated this way. If you want to file an abuse report, you can always call us and we can help support you through the process. Another resource to help you file an abuse report is Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453).

It sounds like you are also considering running away and that home is not where you want to be. Our main concern is that you are safe. We are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms about what could happen if you decided to leave home without parental permission. Generally the age of an adult is 18. If you were to leave home before then your parents could file a runaway report with the police. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you cannot be arrested, just brought back home if found. However, anyone that you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor offense.

Some things to think about if/when you leave are
    -Is where you are going safe?
    -What would you do if things ever become unsafe?
    -Do you have a trusted adult that you can talk to?
    -Do you have someone that is willing to take the risk of harboring a runaway?
    -What would you do if things ever became unsafe?
    -If you were forced to return home, what do you think that would look like?

We’re really glad that you reached out to us. It sounds like there are a lot of different issues going on at home, and we encourage you to consider calling or chatting with us so we can talk more about the specifics of your situation and perhaps find more resources that you might find helpful. We’re here to listen, here to help.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic i dont want to live with my parents and im 17

i dont want to live with my parents and im 17

I keep telling myself to just hold on ill almost be 18 but i can't take it anymore i don't want to be in my family or at least not in my parents house. I hate my dad so much, all he does is yell and scream about everything i do or just ignore me and that used to bother me a lot i used to cut my wrists because of it. But now i just try to not let him bother me but nothing has gotten better. I just feel like i don't belong in my family my two younger brothers are my parents whole life maybe because my mom had me at 19 and i wrecked their plans i don't know. But i can't take my dad anymore he's even threatened to put his hands on me before and he used to when i was little i just can't do this anymore. Sometimes my mom will stick up for me because he will get so crazy but then she doesn't i feel just so alone and like no understands . I know people go through a lot but all my friends have good relationships with their parents i just don't i try to be a good kid i do my best in school and in the sports i play but it's just never good enough.I want to run away but i don't know where to go and i have no money , my parents won't let me get a job or even my permit i'm forced to watch my brothers all the time and never get payed .I just have no idea where to go the only family member im close enough that i think would take me in moved all the way to flordia and i live in nj. I just don't know what i can do and i can't wait till i 18 it's just not an option the more im stuck in this house the more i want to cut myself again.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X