16 Want to leave Expecting more from life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Want to leave Expecting more from life

I'm 16 years old and I live with my father.. My mom lives in another state but they always arugh over who I should live with.. I was finally asked and I said I would rather stay with my mother.. My father got angry and put me on lockdown saying I stabbed him in the back.. But the truth is me and him got in 2 physical fights and he has kicked me out about 5 times.. I would go stay with my mom but I'm done with the back and fourth from them.. I want to be on my own and make my own future... I'm hopeful to join the military around 19 or 20 but I want to leave.. I only have my permit but I go for my license test in 2 months.. Is there anyway I cab still attend school in California or Miami.. I currently live in Wisconsin.. I'll take anything as long as I can finish high school.. I currently work at sonic so I could just apply wherever I end up leaving too.. So basicly what I'm asking is:

-Transportation
    -Shelter
    - How much money should I save first?
    Could I possibly get emancipated wherever I am..

Lastely if no shelter is found am I able to find shelter at a camp site.. Believe me I have no problem staying near camp sites I love the outdoors...

RE: 16 Want to leave Expecting more from live

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Sorry to hear about all the back and forth between your parents. It can be difficult to not have a stable place and not always feel safe. Depending on who has custody of you your father can not keep you from going to your mom’s. One thing your mother can do is file for custody, especially if you have gotten in physical altercations with your father. Have you thought about making an abuse report? For confidential information about reporting you can contact ChildHelp USA at 1-800-422-4453.

As far as emancipation, you certainly can find out what the process would be to do so, as well as what would be required. You can contact the non-emergency line for your police department to find out what the steps would be to file for a declaration of emancipation in court. Often questions they will address will be things like are you financially self-sufficient? Have you made stable living arrangements? Are you mature enough to make adult decisions? Are you enrolled in school or have a high school diploma? And many more.

You can certainly try to get into a youth shelter wherever you decide to go. Typically they may need to contact your parents when you arrive, especially if there is a runaway report made. You can contact here and we can try to aid you in finding something in the area. As far as camping outdoors you can think about things like will you be safe/legally allowed there? How will you shower for work and keep your things? Etc.

The amount you should safe is very dependent on the situation you are going to be entering. You can also contact here and we can try to brainstorm about how much you will need. If there is a runaway report made you may find trouble finding employment as your name may come up in a database upon hire.

It seems like you are in a difficult situation with a lot of decisions to make. One thing that may be possible is seeing if staying with your mom (or someone else you trust) is an option. As you mentioned, you feel more comfortable with her. That way you can finish school as well (typically your guardian needs to enroll you in school.) You are definitely on the right path by reaching out for help. We hope this helped. You can always contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY or utilize our live chat from 4:30pm-11:30pm. We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My father has custody of me so I would need to go through the courts but my mom really disagrees with the idea of taking it to court. My moms side of family was trying to get me too file an abuse report but I don't want to affect my baby sister staying with my father because her mom is financially unstable. Although I could stay with my mother after all the court mess I feel that ill still be the center of the arughing and although I've been taking it for 5 years I can't take it for another 2 years.. I would rather be on my own.. Start my life my way

Comment

RE: reply

Hello,
        Thank you for reaching out again. It seems like you have a tough situation. The option to leave is yours. It may be worth thinking through the information we have provided you and reaching out directly if you have any further questions or want to talk about how to stay safe if you leave. We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.
        NRS
        1-800-RUNAWAY
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X