Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Options

My parents have recently started to physically abuse me and have emotionally abused me my whole life and I want to leave. I would call CPS but I feel like I don't have enough evidence and I don't want to hurt my brother. Our moral views are very different and we don't get along. Are there any options for me to move out even if my parents don't want me to?

Re: Looking for Options

Hi there,

Thank you for to contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things at home have been really tough for you lately. You do not deserve to be abused by anybody, in any way. We’re here to help you the best that we can.

So you shared with us that you have been experiencing physical and emotional abuse by your parents. It sounds like you do not believe you have enough evidence to make a report with CPS. This is a good thing to be thinking about, but making a report is a right that you have. It is understandable that you would be concerned for your brother. Is he also experiencing abuse at home? If you would like to talk more about what that would look like, or would like to make a report, you can call us here at 1800runaway or call Child Help USA at (800) 422 4453.

We’re not here to tell you what to do, we’re just here to help keep you safe. It sounds like you are wanting to move out without your parents’ consent. We’re not legal experts here, but if you were to leave without guardian’s consent they would have the right to make a runaway report. If a report is made, and the police find you, they just bring you back home. However, anyone that you stay with could potentially be charged for harboring. Do you have a place in mind that you would go to? Depending on your age and your state, emancipation might be an option. This is something that a youth can file in some cases to be recognized as a legal adult. You can call us here at NRS for legal resources that would be more knowledgeable about options for this.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you would like to talk further. We’re here to support you the best that we can.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X