No announcement yet.

i’m 15 and me and my sister want to live with our brother

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i’m 15 and me and my sister want to live with our brother

    i’m 15 and my sister is 13 and both of our parents are unstable. we want to move in with my brother and his fiancé and their 4 kids. how do i go about doing that?

  • #2
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to us in this difficult time. We want to honor the bravery you showed in coming forward about your situation, and we hope we can help.
    There are several different ways that you can choose to change your residence as a child. If your parents agree, you may be able to initiate an alternative living arrangement with your parents and the court so that you are able to stay with your brother. Because this is a legal service, this requires involvement with the courts. We therefore cannot initiate this process ourselves, but we can get you in contact with legal aid resources that can if you call us at 1-800-786-2929. Other youth decide to become emancipated, which is another court-mediated process. We can refer you to emancipation-specific resources if you call us at that same number and provide us with information about where you live. Other youth, however, choose to runaway, we realize, and so we would like to give you some information about what might happen to youth when they run away. Because we are not legal experts, we can only provide general information, and the laws that affect runaway youth in your area may differ from this general information.
    Running away in most places in the U.S. is not a criminal offense; it is a status offense, much like breaking curfew is. The courts simply have mandated that it is not acceptable for youth to run away from home. When a youth runs away, then their guardians can file a runaway report with the police. If the police are made aware of where a youth is staying, or if they come into contact with a runaway youth for another reason, then they are likely just to return runaway youth home to their guardians. Runaway youth are unlikely to be arrested or detained for being runaways, but this is not always true. Those who harbor runaway youth can be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a relatively uncommon criminal charge. You can call your local non-emergency police department and hypothetically and anonymously ask questions about running away and what legal consequences might be for running away if you would like. You also can call us and we can contact this number on your behalf.
    Hopefully this message was helpful for you. We are a 24/7 service and are happy to help in whatever ways that we can. Please feel free to reach out to us again as needed. In the meantime, best of luck.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove