Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I’m 17 and I need to leave my toxic household. I’m constantly locked up at home with no freedom or social contact. It’s to the point where I’ve almost relapsed a few times and had mental breakdowns everyday. My mom won’t let me get a job to make some money for myself because she thinks I’ll go somewhere else and she won’t teach me how to drive because she said it’ll give me too much freedom. How do I leave a toxic household that constantly drains me with no money and as a minor. I just want to escape and make my own life.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. Your bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1-888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their number and website link below to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/ 1-888-843-4564.

NRS is here to listen and here to help. If you would like to discuss strategies and or options to try and manage your situation, please contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    What do I do if I'm 16 years old and need to get out of my house my parents won't except me as a lesbian and she won't let me get a job so I can pay for a emancipation idk what to do but its very toxic here there always arguing and she doesn't except me
    But she won't let me leave
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-25-2020, 01:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod11
    replied
    Thanks

Glad to hear it. Remember we're here 24/7 and you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY anytime.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    thanks

thanks for the information this should help both me and my girlfriend. ^~^

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    replied
    Re: I'm 16 and need to get away from a toxic household

Thank you for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline where we’re here to listen and here to help. We appreciate your taking the time to reach out to us for help. It’s remarkable that you are adamant about receiving the resources you need to overcome your depression and self-harm. We commend you for it. It’s too bad that your parents are not responding in the way that you need. It’s also great that you have the support of your girlfriend as well! It must not be easy to want to stay in a home where you feel unfairly targeted for discipline and your pleas for more support are ignored.

Since you are 16, you are still underneath your parents’ guardianship. This means that you would be committing a status offense if you chose to leave home. Your girlfriend and anyone else who helps you leave could be charged with harboring a runaway. Your parents could file a runaway report and report that you are missing with the police. As you may be able to see, leaving home when you are beneath the age of majority has consequences. You’re being very patient with trying to wait at least until you finish school.

It’s regrettable that you and your girlfriend have not been having the best experiences at home. If you are worried about abuse escalating with your girlfriend, have you considered reporting her situation to the National Child Abuse Hotline? You can make a confidential call so that they can investigate and do what is best to keep your girlfriend safe from being sexually abused again by her stepfather. To report suspicions of child abuse you can call 1-800-4A-CHILD. To learn more about what happens when you make a report, click the link below:

https://www.childhelp.org/hotline/

Additionally, your girlfriend can also call the National Sexual Abuse Hotline if she’d like to talk more about what happened to her or receive any other supports. The phone number is 1-800-656-HOPE or 1-800-656-4673.
    You’ve been doing a great job thus far dealing with all of that you are currently going through. If you or your girlfriend ever get to the appoint where you are contemplating suicide, please call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). Wanting to end a horrible situation is a feeling that many people have. Perhaps talking to someone from this line may be useful.

By you thinking about such things as how you both will make a living and where you will live, it shows that you have a very mature mindset. Have you ever considered learning whether your state allows emancipation of minors? This could offer you a legal way to leave home and become independent from your parents. Seeking emancipation can be quite costly. You would have to prove that you can take care of yourself and manage your own home and money. To learn more about emancipation and find legal aid near you, click these links below:

http://ctlawhelp.org/a-teenagers-guide-to-emancipation

http://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ces-30144.html

As for finding jobs, have you hear about job corps? It is a job training program that offers its participants on site housing. You can learn more about Job Corps below:

http://www.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx

National Hotline- 1-800-733-JOBS (1-800-733-5627)

We thank you again for writing us! We are available 24/7. If you’d like to discuss more, we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us daily from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. We hope to hear from you soon! If not, we certainly wish you and your girlfriend the absolute best!

NRS

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest started a topic I'm 16 and need to get away from a toxic household

I'm 16 and need to get away from a toxic household

Hi, I'm 16 and currently live with my parents. I suffer from depression and self-harm, and my parents won’t get me help and refuse to believe that I need help, and I have asked many times for help but they refuse to give it to me, and because of this they have taken my phone, personal laptop and my bedroom from me, in hopes that my behavior will change when in fact it makes it worse. My parent have very strict rules on me and only me, my litter sister is allowed to do whatever she wants and never gets in trouble very often. My parents aren't physically abusive, but they aren't the nicest people, over the years I can only remember being hit twice and choked twice. I haven’t had a bad life with my parents but as of late all me and my parents do is fight about everything. My father has come close to hitting me and he has on more than one occasion told me to get the hell out of his house. I would leave but I made a promise to my girlfriend to wait till the end of this year, but things have changed. Her living situation is way worse than mine and I would do anything to help her get away from her abusive parents, and she is of age to where she can leave but she refuses to leave because she’s worried about being able to support us financially. I’m worried that her step dad will sexually abuse her again and really just want to get her and myself away from our toxic households, I’m worried that if we don’t get away from our current lives that one of us is going to end up killing themselves, but I’m worried about money and getting a job, school and were we are going to stay. I would love some help.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X