Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my friend move in with me???

Okay so my friend is 14 and her mom recently sprung the news that she (her mom) has to move to the other side of the country or (because of lung problems) she might die. My friends little sister is moving in with their dad, but he is awful and abusive to my friend (not her sister tho??). Anyways, so we were talking about it, and thought it might be great if she could move in with me. I live with my mom, younger brother and my grandma. My mom is in college, and we don’t have a lot of money. My friend said she might be able to get her mom to pay some sort of child support if we took her in. I haven’t formally asked my mom about it because I’m afraid if we don’t present it right she will say no. It would be unhealthy for my friend to move in with her dad or move with her mom (her mom pretty much hates her and has made it clear she doesn’t want her to come). How would it work if my mom said we could do it? What kind of legal stuff would we need to do for her to live with us? Would we have to adopt her? How would that work?

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline on behalf of your friend. We appreciate you sharing what’s going on and how supportive you’re being.

It sounds like your friend is going through a pretty stressful time in her life with her mom’s health issue and the possibility of having to move. She’s really lucky to have a friend like you, since it doesn’t sound like she has much support as far as her parents go. As far as your friend coming to live with you, if your parents and her parents are okay with it, there should be no legal issues. Since her parents are legally responsible for her until she turns 18, they have the say in where she can live. If they give her permission, there shouldn’t be a problem. We are not legal experts, so we always offer to call out to the local police with youth, so we can get an exact answer. If you or your friend wanted to call the police with us, don’t hesitate! It’s understandable that you’re wanting to get all the facts before presenting the idea to your mom, it sounds like you’re trying to handle this in the most mature way. Maybe writing down what you’d like to say first, could help you get all your thoughts in order.

Again, thank you for being a supportive friend and reaching out to us. For us to best get the whole situation, calling into our safeline would be the best way to get our full help. If you could pass along our information to your friend, that would be great. We’re open 24/7.

Best, NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X