Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can A 15 Year Old Live With The Parents Of Their Best Friend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can A 15 Year Old Live With The Parents Of Their Best Friend?

My best friend and I have been discussing with each other about my depression, and how it could be mainly contributed by my own family. Yesturday, I came over her house and we took a walk, and just as she asked how I was feeling, I spit out all the sobs I ever held. We talked about how my depression has gotten worse, and how it only gets worse living with my family, meanwhile when I'm with her, I forget about all of it. Being with her, I realize just how poorly I have been raised. While my friend's mother politely asks her to make her bed, brush her teeth, and help clean the dishes, my parents have never given me chores or gave me any boundaries. To some this may seem heavenly, but I honestly think my parents have no ungodly clue how to legitimately raise a child. My father drinks bouts upon bouts of beer and constantly glues himself to his video games, while my mother lays on her ass all day and takes having no job for granted. In fact, my father just told me yesturday morning that we are utterly broke. My sister and I have no college money because guess who ********ing spent it all? And the cars in our driveway are all broken, and we can't afford to fix them. Not to mention, who in blazing hell actually enjoys being lectured and being put down by your own flesh and blood on a daily ********ing scheduled basis?

My friend and I have talked over this, and now, I am considering it much more than I have considered anything else before. This is not a joke, a spurious story for attention. I can't stand my family. They didn't raise me. I never learned to brush my teeth, tie my shoes, take a ********ing shower, or even yet, I don't even have a dentist. I never have! I'm 15, in case you forgot; is this not ********ing abusive? They never tell me they love me, and I can't recall the last time they hugged me and told me so. Meanwhile when I'm at my friend's house, her parents both display so much care for me as if I were too their child. Before we go to bed during sleepovers, her mother always asks me if I have brushed my hair and teeth. Sometimes, she is just too kind. Today, I was taken back home, and I am now leaning over the threshold.

I can't live here anymore. I can't. I can't stand to live in the same house with two of the most selfish and inconsiderate adults I have ever ********ing seen, not to mention my spoiled and perfect-ass older sister who couldn't care less of how I am feeling. I can't do this. I want to know—I need to know—do I have a chance of living with my best friend? I mean, of course my family would hands down say no and end the subject, if I dared ask. But it would work so well. My friend has a guest bedroom I could stay in for a while, and maybe I could call my family every once in a while so if I am lucky, they will not pester me about how much they "miss me," when all they miss is their little servant always toiling their ass to tend to their needs, getting them this and getting them that. I want to do this in a way that is legal, and may not even require court and all of that lovely ********. Maybe, I can live at my friend's house for a short time. Maybe a few weeks? A month? Maybe even longer? Whatever the answer, as long as I can take a break from my family—or hell, even move out—and be taken by the hands of a family who truly cares for me and has a background of good parenthood—a.k.a, they actually know how to raise a godforsaken child—I will graciously accept it. Please, I beg on my knees, tell me what I can do to escape this horrible excuse of a family, so I can then temporarily/permenantly move in with my friend. She cares. She hugged me and let me cry on her shoulder. She told me she use to self harm, and that she can be like a therapist to me. She saw my own self harm and was by my side the whole way. That is a person I would ********ing slaughter millions to live with. My mother only shouted at me for it, and even told me to keep hiding it. Please, tell me what I can do. Thank you.

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline (NRS) and sharing through our online forum. It sounds like you are going through a tough situation at home. It takes a great deal of courage to seek out for help. Here at NRS we are truly here to help.

You also mentioned depression. One great resource is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, which is a hotline specifically for people experiencing depression. Their number is 1-800-273-8255, and they are 24/7 just like NRS. It sounds like living with people who don’t understand you can be really frustrating. You also mentioned self-harm. If you haven’t in the past a good resource to reach out to is To Write Love On Her Arms at twloha.com. Talking to someone could be one way to help and also express everything that you have been feeling.

It sounds like you have good support in your friend. There’s definitely a lot to consider when leaving home. You mentioned that you would rather stay with your friend parents. You might want to consider talking with your friend parents to see if staying with them is a possibility. If your friend parents are willing to have you stay with them, your parents would have to give permission, whether it’s just informal or them giving up their legal custody of you (which involves legal paperwork). Since the legal age to move from home is 18 in most states, the easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission.

We are not legal experts, however running away isn’t a crime, but your parents could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and the people you are staying with could get in legal trouble. There are many resources out there that could help you get more information about leaving home, help you work through struggles with your family, or help you with anything else you may need. If you want more details about any resources, or if you’d like to talk more about what you’ve been going through, you can feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X