•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to be vulnerable, and we appreciate your concern for your friend’s wellbeing. We want you to know that we are here as support to help your friend through this challenging time.

It sounds like your friend is in a neglectful and abusive living situation, and we’re glad you’ve come to us. Everyone deserves to feel loved and respected in their home, regardless of their size. If they ever feel unsafe at home, it’s always within their rights to report any abusive behavior. www.childhelp.org can be a great resource when looking to report abuse.

If your friend would like to further discuss their options, we encourage them to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can search for resources in their area.

If calling is not feasible, they can also chat us at www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope this helped and take care!

NRS

Guest replied
    Okay, so my friend has abusive parents. Some things they've done detail: Constantly fatshaming them and have them on a restrictive 800 calorie diet WITHOUT carbs, and basically any other energy source, yet make them run 10 miles a day or more, they are used as a scapegoat for everything, the parents drink constantly, the parents neglect them by having absolutely no pain medication, etc. My friend was unfortunately adopted by their fiends who DARE to call themselves "parents". The only problem is they live on a diffrent continent, so I can't get them out of their home safely. Their 16, and turn 17 this year. They won't last much longer without more attempts to leave this plane of existence.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for contacting NRS. It sounds like Hope is in a very difficult situation. She is very lucky to have a caring friend like you who is concerned about her. We’re glad you reached out to us.

No one deserves to be treated the way your Hope is being treated. It is her parent’s responsibility to provide a safe and supportive environment for her. If she is in danger she can always call 911.

A potential resource for both Hope and you is Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline at www.childhelp.org or 1-800-4-A-CHILD (422-4453). Childhelp is a 24-hour hotline with volunteers who can talk to you about her situation and provide resources that may be helpful to her. They are also very knowledgable about the workings of CPS in various states and may be able to provide advice on options to address the issues Hope has had with CPS.

Hope could also consider contacting CPS about her situation. If she is uncomfortable making the call, she can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for her.

We’re not legal experts, but we can provide some basic information that may be helpful to you. Running away is not illegal. If Hope ran away, her parents can file a runaway report. If share picked up by the police they will likely take her back home.

You should know that if she staying with someone and she is picked up there, they could be charged with harboring a runaway.

The way the police handle runaway and harboring cases varies from place to place. If you call the non-emergency number of your local police department they may be able to tell you how they handle runaway and harboring cases. If you are uncomfortable making the call, you can call us and one of our volunteers can make the call with or for you.

You can also always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We have volunteers available 24/7 to talk and to help you find resources that may be helpful to you.

We wish you the best!

• ccsmod13
    Hi,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like your friend Hope is dealing with a very toxic home life and you are wondering how to best help her. At NRS, safety is our main concern. If your friend Hope is ever in an unsafe situation, she needs to contact local authorities and emergency services immediately. If you feel your friend Hope is in an unsafe situation, it may be helpful to file an abuse report with social services. Since you stated there is a history of reports with social services, this could help strengthen the case. If you feel this may be an option for you and Hope to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. Here at NRS we can help file abuse reports, so if Hope would like to she can contact us directly to talk more about the process and filing an abuse report.

It also sounds like Hope is very lucky to have you to talk to and support her. If she feels like she may need additional help and support a great resource is the Crisis Text Line, which is a free, 24/7 and confidential crisis line that is available online, through text, and even Facebook Messenger. The website is www.crisistextline.org and you can text “HOME” to 741741 or message “HOME” on their Facebook Messenger page as well.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). Again if Hope is at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you or Hope to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My friend (lets call her Hope) has verbally, mentally, and physically abusive parents. She has been tackled, hit, and told she was worthless. Her brother who lives a state away experienced this too, but can’t seem to get her out of the house soon enough. “Hope’s” mom has manipulated CPS and the police at least twice. The abuse has become so normal that she’s begun to feel numb to it. She is kind, silly, and smart, and she deserves so much better. I want to help her feel safe, but I don’t know how. Please give me some advice to help her.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your partner is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned being suicidal and possibly enduring some hardships at home. It’s great that your partner has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.
    If they are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage them or you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255); www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org is also a great resource to reach out to in addition to our crisis services.
    You or they may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone they trust as far as transferring custody.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your partner through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your partner can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My long-distance partner lives in a physically, emotionally, and mentally abusive household with his two sisters. They live in ********** and I live in **********. he is 15 and I want to help him but IDK how. he has attempted suicide because of his parents and they refuse to medicate him (he is extremely mentally ill). I'm not sure how to approach him about helping him. I try to be emotionally supportive but it isn't enough, and I don't want to make his homelife worse by contacting someone. Is there any way that I can help him? He is at extremely high risk for suicide and I don't know how much longer he can stay in that house. Any advice would be amazing, thank you.
    Last edited by ccsmod5; 03-03-2021, 04:32 AM. Reason: Confidentiality

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hey there. Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to try and find support, and we're glad you took that step on behalf of your friend. It sounds like you're noticing quite a few red flags with your friend and are concerned about her safety, which seems valid based on what you've described. In situations where abuse is present in the home, documenting the situations and any injuries that have come from them can be helpful in the grand scheme of things. While we understand that it might be incredibly frustrating for your friend to have had frequent contacts with CPS and not be removed from the home, documenting what's going on and filing an abuse report every time should help. That means taking photos of any injuries and writing down what happened. If Laz needs support in having a report filed, she can disclose the abuse to her therapist, teacher, a school social worker, or another person we consider "helpers", like a police officer or a doctor. If she's going into school, perhaps the school nurse. These are all folks who are considered mandated reporters and can file a report with her or on her behalf.

It also sounds like Laz might have a relationship with her father, who is aware of what's going on at home. If so, it might be a good idea for her to try and stay with him.

Beyond the above, we'll need to know more about her particular situation to chat through any additional options that might be available to her. If you'd like to chat more about what she's going through or want to encourage her to reach out, you can connect with us by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7, and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Guest replied
    My friend, lets just call her Laz, is an extremely abusive home. Physically, emotionally, and mentally. She has told me everything her mother has done. Her mother and father are divorced and the father has tried to file a restraining order against her, but it hasn't been signed yet. Laz, by her therapist, has been diagnosed with depression and BPD (bipolar disorder) and has a hard time with things. Her mother beats her for talking back in the slightest, hit her with a belt IN the face a long time ago, and maybe a few weeks ago, her mother beat Laz's sister down onto the ground and dislocated her knee. Her mother is currently tabbing Laz and her sibling's phone's so she knows who their talking to and where they go. Her mom is obsessed with her ex husband (Laz and her siblings's dad) and keeps trying to find his location and to stop a marriage he planned. She, I quote, threatened to shoot up the wedding, and would always keep the ex husband's last name. CPS and DCF have been called several times, but they have refused to do anything about it at all. Laz is about 15-16 and she needs to get out of her home ASAP. She has a 30 year old sibling, but if she were to leave with Laz and her siblings, she wouldn't have anywhere to go. Please give me advice. I need to get her out of there, and I don't care what it'll cost me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there, thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We know it takes courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on for your friend. It sounds like your friend might be feeling quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned they are being harmed. We’re sorry they’re going through this. No one deserves to be hurt in any way.

Your friend has the right to call 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. They also have the right to report the abuse to a teacher or school personnel (they are mandated reporters) or to Child Protective Services (CPS). Another resource you can share with your friend is Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org which is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell your friend more about how CPS could respond to this situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re here 24/7 to listen and explore options, and can help file an abuse report if your friend asks us to.

Please share our phone number 1-800-786-2929 and online chat link www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) with your friend and let them know we are available 24/7, and are non-judgmental, non-directive, and here to listen and offer resources if they want to reach out.

It sounds like you are also experiencing a lot of stress in this time worrying about your friend’s well-being. You are also welcome to reach out to us for emotional support.

You can also share these additional resources with your friend:
    National Safe Place www.nationalsafeplace.org and your friend can text SAFE and their current location (address, city, state) to 4HELP (44357) for immediate help.
    National Domestic Violence Hotline https://www.thehotline.org/ and 1-800-799-7233

Thank you for reaching out, NRS

Guest replied
    Hey my friends in a physically abusive home her dad beats her left brusie all on her legs chocked her and almost put her head through a window all while infront of her mom and he would have done more if her mom wasn't there

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your cousins are faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to leave. It’s great that your cousins have the support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them. They can always reach out to childhelp about the abuse that is going on. Their number is 800-422-4453 or they can visit their website for a chatting option. You mention them wanting to commit suicide. We take this very seriosuly. If they are feeling this way you could always encourage them to reach out to the NAtional Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Their number is 800-273-8255.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your cousins through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your cousins can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi my cousins are in a very abusive home with my two uncles and gran and the oldest one is on the verge of suicide because they have no way out how can you help me get them out?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they mentioned wanting to run away. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them. They can always reach out to child healp in regard to the abuse that is going on at home. Thier number is 800-422-4453 or they can visit childhelp.org for more info.
    Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. There are definitely different things that could happen if your freind chose to leave to Canada.If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
    Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey. I’m Canadian. Tho I have a friend in the states that’s in an abusive home and can’t get out. That friend will be 13. Is it ok to allow them to stay with me or any way I can legally help and keep them safe?
    can they runaway to Canada and get legal rights? Or will I have to do much else with the law first?
    cause I’m so confused myself, on what to do.
    thanks for any replies

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X