No announcement yet.

My friend is in an abusive home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friends. Let’s call her Audrey. Is receiving emotional abuse from her biological father. She has contacted child services as she is a minor but they haven’t done anything. She has tried to press charges against her father four times but he has amazingly good lawyers because he is rich. I just want her hurting to stop before she kills herself. If I can’t help her, what kind of friend am i?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on your friends situation
      From what you have mentioned it might be a good idea to keep reporting with the police and getting your friend out of the situation theyre in. We can help find them a shelter or transitional living program. Just know you can gather evidence to help with reporting like taking photos, text, voice recordings, or video recording.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS

Hi I have a friend who lives in a different state and has abusive parents. They away moved from the abusive father but, the mother doesn't care for her at all. Just recently she found out she has hereditary cancer. I don't know how to help her but I really want to.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them as they are living with an abusive parent and just found out she has cancer. It’s great that your friend has support and concern from you especially since this time is quite difficult for them.

Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. She might have options with reporting the abuse or living in an alternative living arrangement depending on the details of her situation. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.

Take care,

NRS

Hi, my friend's parents just found out that my friend is gay and trans and are not accepting of it. They are forcing my friend's girlfriend to leave tomorrow morning and "never come back" and likely will not let any other friends come to visit in the future. They are also acting mentally/emotionally abusive and manipulative towards my friend, who already struggles with serious depression and other mental illness (they are saying that my friend is depressed because they are gay, refusing to use my friend's correct pronouns, calling my friend a liar and a horrible person, etc). I don't live in the same state as my friend, though I would drop anything in a heartbeat to pick them up and have them stay with me. My friend is 20 but still financially dependent on their parents, who are now threatening to not let them return to school, and simply up and leaving doesn't seem like the best option, especially since they have a younger sister who still lives at home. I really don't know what to do in this situation - I just know I have to get my friend out of that house, because their parents are definitely making their mental health worse. What do I do?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance and to feel safe. We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/
      You mentioned that you were considering the options that may be best for you. By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Other options to think about may be other family members, friends, or a trusted adults that would be able to provide you with support or a safe place to stay. It is great that you thinking ahead. Should you feel like leaving home is best, it may be a good idea to think about how you will provide necessities for yourself such as food, clothing, showers, healthcare and other basic needs. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.
      If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some youth shelters that may be near your city and state by utilizing our database of resources. We can also try to call out to shelters with you or on your behalf to advocate for you.

how can i get my boyfriend who is a different state out of an abusive home his parents abandon him and his brother touches him while he sleep sexually

Comment

• ccsmod16
      ccsmod16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We understand it takes courage to seek help on behalf of a partner or friend. We are glad you contacted us.

It sounds like your boyfriend is suffering from abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse at home. It is important that both you and he know that it is never okay for him to be treated this way. While it is not guaranteed to get him out of the home, reporting an abuse can be a way to get help in dire circumstances. You can always report an abuse to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 (www.childhelp.org) is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY. If your boyfriend is ever in immediate danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope this helps.

You are so brave to have reached out to us today. If you are in need of more support, resources, or information, we are here 24/7 to help, and can be contacted at the number above or via our Chat Feature at 1800runaway.org.
      Sincerely,

NRS

My friend (H) is in an emotionally and mentally abusive home where her dad is a drug addict. Her mom keeps emotionally abusing her because she is Bi and she getting depressed. She’s 16 without a license so she can’t support herself and I’m afraid of the abuse getting physical. Her parents are in the edge of getting a divorce but I don’t think her mom is going to go through with it because she is a pushover. I want to get her out of the house but I don’t want to make things worse for her. I don’t know how well H and her mom could support themselves because H’s dad is the main supporter. I heard there was a thing where some one could take her away for a bit and be placed and a trusted friends home? My mom is okay with it and supportive so there would be very little problems there. I want to know how to help her.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-04-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      It seems there is a lot that your friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them.
      It’s great that your friend has your support and concern, especially since this time is probably quite difficult for them.
      Being abused is not the fault of your friend. They don’t deserve to have this happen to them.
      There are laws to protect minors against abuse. If things do escalate and your friend would like to file an abuse report they may do so by contacting Child Help USA at: 1-800-422-4453
      NRS can also assist with filing a child abuse report and assist with trying to locate a safe place like a family member, adult friend of the family or emergency shelter. We can also assist with trying to locate family crisis counseling services through our data base. Showing your friend support by reaching out to NRS says a lot about your character. They are lucky to have you as a friend.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.

We are here as support to help both you and your friend through this challenging time.
      We can best help by phone or chat. If you or your friend would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you or your friend soon.

Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X