Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im going to be 17. i want to run aay to live w my mom

I'm going to turn 17 in a couple of months. I don't want to live with my dad anymore. my stepmom favors too much and I'm not treated equally and I want to run away to live with my mom.
    if I run away without my mom's help, would the cops make me go back to my dad even if I'm turning 17?

: Hi there

Thanks for reaching out, you seem to be in a tough situation… Does your mom also have custody of you, or is your dad your only legal guardian? In case it’s only him, unfortunately if you go stay somewhere else without his permission, he can report you as a missing youth, and whoever you'd be staying with could get in trouble because "harboring a minor without parental consent" is considered a crime.

To tell you the truth, it’s rare that the police actively go looking for missing 17 year old. If your dad knows where you are staying and insists with them, they have to go get you and send you back to his house. We’re not legal experts, and it might be useful for you to discuss potentially other options; call us or let us know where you live, and we can provide you some legal resources.

Do you think it might be possible to get his okay for you to go live with your mom, even if just for some time? If he agrees, that would give you a good break, and then maybe you could just “extend it” until you turn 18 and no longer depend on him. If you think that it might be helpful that we have a mediated conference call with him, please call us at 1-800-runaway – we are here for you.

Best of luck, and be strong!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Yeah be strong! Time is very powerful, it will heal everything.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
      x
      x
      Working...
      X