Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chily custody

I have full custody of my 17 yr old daughter, who recently ran away to her non custodial mothers. Her mother has already been found unfit for abandoning her at 13. Now my daughter wants to live with her grandmother my mother. Will my mother have to take me to court if I say no.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us, it sounds like it must be stressful for you to have a daughter who ran away and wants to live with her mother, especially since you have full custody of her. It must also feel scary to have her staying with someone who has abandoned her in the past, and it is amazing that you are looking out for her safety.

We are not legal experts here, but it seems like if you did not want your daughter to stay with her mother since you are her legal guardian that she would have to listen to you. It is possible that you would have to go to court over this, but beyond that we do not have a ton of information. You can try reaching out to Team H.O.P.E. at 1-866-305-4673, which is a hotline which is run by parents who have had children run away and help with situations like yours. They might have more information than we do about what to do since they are specifically geared towards parents of children who ran away. You can also feel free to call us and we would be happy to provide resources such as legal aid in your location that might be able to answer your specific questions.

Again, it is amazing that you are taking the time to make sure that your daughter is in a safe place, and thank you for reaching out. If you do want more referrals or just want to talk feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are here 24/7, 365 days a year.

Best of Luck,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X