No announcement yet.

I want to run away.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to run away.

    Hi. So, my aunt has legal guardianship of me, and my grandmother on my dad's side adopted me, so she is legally my mother. She is dead now, but my aunt is alive, so she is legally my sister. I am living with my grandmother on my mother's side, and my aunt, who has legal guardianship of me, lives in another state. I am going to be 16 very soon. I would like to know if there is any way I could leave my home and go live with my brother, who is old enough to live by himself. I'm very mature, I draw a check, and even if I didn't, I could find a job and work. But my brother would take care of that. He would take good care of me. My grandmother yells at me and makes me feel like I'm not good enough. She has told me that all I want is attention, I feel sorry for myself, and I'm unreliable and she doesn't trust me. I'm not allowed to stay the night at a friends house or anything like that, not that I want to. Anyway, I do not want to live here any more. I can take care of myself on my own, but my brother would take good care of me, so I wouldn't have to be on my own. I'm in Arkansas. Or, is there any way I could get emancipated without my grandmother or aunt finding out? I just want to leave. Preferable legally and by emancipation. I have ran away before but had to come back. I am being homeschooled, but I don't mind enrolling in public school if it makes leaving easier. I can cook and clean and function on my own. Please help me in any way you can. I would prefer to become emancipated without my parents finding out, because it would just make it worse if she found out. But, as long as I know that she can't stop it, I'd be fine with her knowing as long as she can't stop it. She will certainly not be happy with me moving in with him, but quite frankly, I don't care. I feel like it is the best decision for me. Thank you for taking your time to read this.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are dealing with a very difficult situation. You mentioned that your aunt has legal guardianship of you, but you are currently living with your grandmother. It sounds like your grandmother has not been really nice to you while you’ve been staying with her. We’re sorry to hear that you are not being treated very well. Here at NRS, we truly want to help.
    You also mentioned that you would like to become emancipated without your grandmother finding out. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts and laws can be interpreted differently from county to county and police jurisdiction to police jurisdiction and we won’t be able to give you specific answers. Generally speaking, if a minor under the age of 18 was to runaway from home without being emancipated, their legal guardian could file a runaway report and the minor could be returned home.

    It seems like you want to become emancipated and are in need of information. Again, we are not legal experts, but youth who are 16 years of age or older must be able to prove that your parents (legal guardians) don’t mind if you move out; that you can support yourself financially (and legally); that you are mature enough to live independently; and that it would be in your best interest. If you still need additional information, you can reach out to Legal Services in your state and ask them questions about emancipation in Arkansas.

    We hope this information is helpful to you and appreciate you reaching out to NRS for help. We can also talk through options directly through our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). If you can’t call in, you can chat with us through our website ( from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Time.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif