Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can parent take me from a shelter?

hi. im 15 years old and im running away in two days ive been living with my father who is pretty controling and doesnt allow me to call or visit my mother or younger sisters. i would move in with them, but i would like to be independent and experience the world. in a fwe months, i wil be sixteen, ill be able to fet a part time job after school. ive read about a few laws that said that a shelter has to contact a parent within 24 hours of you being there if youre under 18 so, i was wondering if the parent can take you from the shelter?

Hello there,
    Your situation sounds difficult and unfair. The fact that you want to work a job when you turn 16 soon is very brave and you sound very mature for your age. As for laws relating to shelters and parental action, we are not legal experts but can provide some guidance depending on additional information you provide us. Every state has different laws, and each shelter has their own protocol. Generally, if you went to a shelter your dad would still have his parental rights. If child protective services was involved due to abuse that could look differently. However, we have a good understanding of shelters so we can run through some potential scenarios with you. We are confidential, 24/7, and want to help. Please call us at 1-800-786-2929 or visit our website’s chat and we can provide as much expertise as possible. We are here for you!

Best,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X