No announcement yet.

Family issues

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Family issues

    Hi maybe somebody can answer my question I have a very mentally ill mother who will not take her medicine I have no family in the United States because her family originates from Haiti my biological father is very abusive he comes in and out of my life periodically I have a friend who is somewhat like an uncle or somebody like true family whenever my mom derails and have anxiety attacks and spazzes out I call 911 because I don't have anybody else to turn to then this friend make sure that I am okay and take care of me I call him Uncle Steve he is very nice and take care of me like I'm his own my mom made me turn against Uncle Steve when he was helping us at one point giving us groceries and helping my mom take her medicines Uncle Steve wants to adopt me so I could have a better living situation but because of the lies that were told against Uncle Steve he doesn't know what to do to help me all he ever done was help me when nobody else did from keeping me out of the streets he wants to become a guardian or whatever you call a foster parent and I'd like him to be too he takes me on trips he teaches me new things and he helps encourage me and he helps me pray my family the small bubble I have is very toxic and he wants to help take me out of it what should I do what should we do somebody please answer?!

  • #2
    Hi, thanks for reaching out to us at NRS.

    It sounds like you have a pretty stressful situation at home and feel like you have very few supports besides Uncle Steve. Assuming that Uncle Steve is an adult, it might be possible for him to become your guardian, or temporary guardian, if Child Protective Services gets involved and determines that your mother is either abusive (verbally, physically, or sexually) or neglectful and not meeting your basic needs. You also mentioned that your biological father is abusive; if you are ever in his care, you could file a Child Protective Services report against him, too. The number for the National Child Abuse Hotline is (800) 422-4453 if you'd like to talk to someone about your situation and possibly file an abuse report. You are also welcome to contact us at (800) 786-2929 and we can find your local CPS office to file a report together.

    Other resources that might be helpful are: Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (877) 726-4727 and Your mother's mental illness might not be her fault, but you deserve to feel safe and supported at home. As you said you have been doing, calling 911 when your mother is making you feel nervous is a good option. Requesting an officer trained in "mental health first aid" can assist in sending out someone who can better handle people with mental health issues, de-escalate crises, and possibly take her to a hospital, if needed, to ensure safety for both of you.

    Hope this helps and best of luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp