No announcement yet.

Single mom with 3 boys that want to leave home, not the right age!!!

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Single mom with 3 boys that want to leave home, not the right age!!!

    Hi, I'm a single parent and I really need an advice that can help me help my children. My oldest is almost 19 and the middle one is almost 18 and the youngest is 16. Here are the reasons that they have. My oldest and middle child wants to move out because he wants to have his own space and I think he wants to move out with his girlfriend, and the youngest want to frop out of school and he says that he wants to move out because he doesn't feel loved by me. I work so I don't spend as much time as I should with them. and when I do i have to get onto my youngest because he has been in trouble with the law. I don't know what to do anymore. Has anyone been in any similar situation that could help me. Thank you

  • #2
    re: Single mom with 3 boys that want to leave home, not the right age!!!

    Hey there,

    Thank you so much for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you and your family are going through a really hard time. It takes a lot to ask for help and you’ve taken a really good step. We aren’t legal experts, but we can give you some general information. When minors run away or move out without emancipation, it usually isn’t a criminal offence unless there are legal issues (probation, house arrest, etc.). It sounds like your oldest can move out legally. However, your middle and youngest would need court authorization with parental consent. If they left home without court or parental approval, you could file a runaway report on them in which case they would returned home if they were found by the police. If you didn’t file the runaway report, neglect charges might be filed. However, this is speaking generally and we are not able to give legal advice. To get more accurate information, you can reach out to a local legal aid office in your area.

    Another option you have is to look into a MINS (Minor In Need of Supervision) program in your state. It may not have the same name in your state, but essentially it allows the courts to step in and have legal consequences if your child defies the court order.

    We hope this helps. If you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail, you can always call our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We have many referrals in our database that we can look up that would be more specific to your situation and location. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. We’re here to listen and help. We look forward to hearing from you and good luck.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove