Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am 17 and I need to move out from my parent's house, Does the government helps you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 17 and I need to move out from my parent's house, Does the government helps you

Hello, So It's been quite a time (2 years) That I'm living with my mother and my step dad, after being seperated for 4 years. So technically when we finally got to live together, things went bad. I changed so much, I'm turning 18 soon but I already saw hell. I had such a difficult life since I was 11 and it's not ending now. Anyways, My mother completely changed and ditched her nlnormal lifestyle and culture to fit the guy who she married, she's another person. My step thinks He can be in charge of my life and just controlling it the next I'll have to do is to ask permission from him to breath. Anyways, my problems from the beginning till here would need a 500 pages But what I need to know If I want to move out knowing I'm in my last year in high school and I don't have any family here in Aus Will the government provide me housing or financial support till i turn 18 or finish highschool ?

RE: I am 17 and I need to move out from my parent's house, Does the government helps

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have gone through some difficult and confusing times most of your childhood as well as transitioned through quite a bit for the past two years. It must also be aggravating to feel that you are being controlled with everything by your step-father. It sounds like a very stressful and isolating situation. Dealing with changes is challenging and feeling like you are alone with it can make it feel even more difficult to bear. Sometimes it is helpful to speak to someone to vent and release your thoughts and feelings. We can be that support for you if you called into our crisis line. We are free, confidential, and nonjudgmental. We are here to listen and to help.

Regarding your question about moving out, it depends on the laws in your area. We are not legal experts, however, most states in the US set the age of majority at 18 which means that an individual is considered an adult and can make decisions for themselves such as where they want to live. This may very well be the case in some other countries as well. What is often best to do is to seek consultation with local law enforcement (non-emergency police) to inquire about age laws and rights of individuals under the age of 18. There may be programs that can help you such as staying in a transitional living program or an alternative youth housing placement if staying at home is unfit for you. However, it may be helpful to first learn about the laws in your state since your legal guardians are responsible for your care until you reach the age of majority.

Again, we are here to listen and to help. We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care and be safe.

Best wishes,
    NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here: www.1800runaway.org

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X