No announcement yet.

I'm 17 years old and don't want to live with much parents anymore.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17 years old and don't want to live with much parents anymore.

    Hello, I'm a 17 year old living in Maryland right now. I'm having some trouble with my parents especially my mom. Last week I came out to my parents and they were not happy. They called me all types of names and my mom was crying saying I'm going to hell. I can live with my parents anymore I'm becoming more and more depress and at night my only thoughts are how if I just kill myself everything is going to be better. But I was able to be strong enough not to kill myself but I really don't want to live with my parent anymore if they won't accept the fact that I'm gay. Where can I go I honestly have no idea where to run away to and am very lost. Please help me

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We really appreciate you explaining a bit about what you’re going through, we understand that it takes courage. We hope our response will be helpful.
    It was incredibly brave of you to come out to your parents and we’re so sorry that they we not supportive of you. You deserve to be accepted and respected at home, what your mom said about going to hell was very wrong of her. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer:

    Your life and your safety is extremely important to us, and you mentioned that you’ve been thinking about suicide. We want you to know that your life has worth and we are so glad that you didn’t end your life. You are incredibly strong for living. It’s so understandable to be depressed when you’re living with parents who are not accepting you as you are. If you get those feelings or thoughts again, there is always the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-8255. We and they are open 24/7, so we’re always here to talk.

    You mentioned that you were considering the options that may be best for you. By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.

    If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some youth shelters that may be near your city and state by utilizing our database of resources. We can also try to call out to shelters with you or on your behalf to advocate for you.

    Stay Strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif