No announcement yet.

Can I runaway from my parents and live with my grandparents?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I runaway from my parents and live with my grandparents?

    I currently live with my mother, step dad and 2 sisters and a brother and my step dad is horrible and he treats me wrong and gets my brother and younger sister to be horrible to me aswell. My mum just watches and doesn't say anything. My dad moved to Devon so I can't see him, I don't feel happy where I am and I want to live with my Nan and grandad who will treat me right. I could care for my Nan as she is blind and she needs someone to talk to and I could care for my grandad by doing the shopping as he can not walk properly i love my grandparents when I go to theirs I feel happy and safe because I know they love me. I don't go out at the moment because my mum and step dad say no but my grandparents would let me out all the time. I have a boyfriend and he can see that my parents don't treat my right and he is worried for me. I can travel to school by train from my Nan and grandads because it doesn't take long so I would not need to rely on my grandad. My mum leaves me home alone sometimes so could I run away then?

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: http://www.childhelplineinternationa...where-we-work/
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      I currently cannot handle living with my mom, all the stuff going on about corona and my mom has been not talking to me except to yell at me or tell me I'm grounded, I want to go to my grandparents house in Minnesota, but I live in Indiana , we recently moved here, but is it illegal to take a break and go to my grandparents? Not runaway but just stay there for a little while?


      • ccsmod1
        ccsmod1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

        Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Moving can be really hard, especially when you leave behind a support system like your grandparents.
        It's really commendable that you are able to take a step back and recognize that you need some breathing room away from your mom. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

        We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your mom can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

        It might be a good idea to talk to your grandparents directly to see how they feel about you staying with them for a little while. You, your grandparents, and your mom all may want to have a conversation about what staying with them would look like. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

        We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey:

        Stay safe,

    • #4
      So I live with my Abusive dad. My step mom is here to but she doesn't like me, She watches me get abusive, yelled at to. My dad abuse me smashed my head against the wall stomp me out and choked me. He aim guns at me and forces me to clean the house all day. He takes my phone, TV, and game for no reason. I want to runway and live with my grandma she is the only one that loves. I cry at night because living here brings me down and i been depressed for months. I want and need help to get out this house and never come back. i need help if your reading this just know appicate what you have because i live threw this everyday.
      Last edited by ccsmod16; 05-07-2022, 07:54 PM. Reason: Youth gave name and city/state. We did file an abuse report


      • ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are happy to help you and provide you with support during this time. It sounds like you’re in a very scary situation right now. You are extremely brave for reaching out to us for help, and you are very strong for being able to survive under these difficult circumstances. You don't deserve to be treated that way and it's not your fault. You deserve to be treated with love and kindness. We are not legal experts here, but we can provide you with some general information. If you obtained permission from your dad or stepmom to go live with your grandma, it would be legal for you to stay with her. Otherwise, your grandma could be charged with harboring a runaway. We would like to offer you some resources that you may find helpful. The national child abuse website is or you can call them at 1-800-422-4433. You can find more information about abuse here. They are available 24/7. Another option would be to look into . This is a resource for when CPS has not been helpful. You may be able to find some other options here. One other thought may be to talk with another trusted family member or other close adult in your life about what's been happening at home. You can also chat with us at or call us at 1-800-runaway if you would like to discuss further. We would be happy to talk with you and are available 24/7. Wishing you the best,NRS
        Home - Childhelp
        Since 1959 Childhelp has existed to meet the physical, emotional, educational and spiritual needs of abused, neglected and at-risk children.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif