No announcement yet.

i want to leave my house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i want to leave my house

    My dad is working in China and comes here in California about every three months, my mom also complains about me and I just feel like she hates me. I basically feel like no one understands me at home and in school and that I always have a mask on. Do you know a legal way for me to live somewhere else?

  • #2
    Thank for messaging the National Runaway Safeline, it was very brave of you to reach out for help! It sounds like you have been going through a very stressful situation. It can be really difficult to feel like you always need to hide. While we are not legal experts here we can talk in general about ways for a minor to leave home. In most states the age of majority, or the age when someone is considered to be an adult, is 18 years old. Until 18, their parent or legal guardian is legally responsible for them. If a minor were to leave home without permission from their legal guardian, their guardian would have the right to file a runaway report with the police. Being reported as a runaway is not a criminal offense and does not go on your record, it is a status offense. This means that if a police officer were to search their system for the name of someone who was reported as a runaway there would be a note letting them know the youth was reported as having run away. Unless someone is already on probation or in legal trouble there are no legal consequences for running away; it is most common for the police to return youth who have runaway home. One way to find out specific police procedure in your area is to contact the local non-emergency police number which can be found on .

    The easiest way for a minor to legally live away from their guardian is to get permission in writing from their legal guardian. However, if your parents will not give you permission to live with someone else, emancipation could possibly be another option. Emancipation is the process through the courts of legally becoming an adult before the age of 18. There are specific criteria needed to be considered for emancipation and because it is through the court system it can sometimes take a long time. You can find information specifically for emancipation in California on the court systems website . California also has a toll free legal aid hotline specifically to provide information about emancipation and can be reached at 1-800-870-8090. Is sounds like you have been going through so much and we are very glad that you reached out to the National Runaway Safeline for help! We are available 24/7 via phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or via live chat on our website if you have question, would like help developing a plan, or would like to talk.
    Last edited by ccsmod2; 09-16-2017, 05:29 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp