Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Out & Transferring Schools At 18.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Out & Transferring Schools At 18.

I have been living with my mother ever since her and my dad divorced, which was about 13 years ago. My mom and I do not have the best mother-daughter relationship. Ever since she divorced my dad, things went immediately downhill. I was of course five at the time, and being a five year old who underwent depression like that and dealt with my mom was something tragic. I'm eighteen years old now, and I wish to move out-of-state and live and go to school with my boyfriend, who I trust. Him and I already talked about all of our financial plans. I've talked to the high school about enrolling with parental consent because I'm legally an adult, and I can easily get everything approved and move easily, but my mom and my dad are holding me back. My mom would be furious, and my dad might have mixed emotions. He'll be excited, but then again, I'm his youngest, so it'll hurt him. I honestly do not know what to say to them, so I could use some guidance.

Hi there,

We’re so glad you reached out to us today. It sounds like you’re contemplating a lot of big decisions and it’s resourceful of you to reach out for support. It sounds like you’d like to talk to your mom and dad about changing schools and moving out-of-state. We have a conference call service at National Runaway Safeline. If you’re interested, the conference call service would be initiated by you if you called in. Then after we chat, we can put you on hold and reach out to either parent (of your choice) and then join the calls to have a conference call with you and a parent. This provides you support before, during, and after the conversation with your parent. Beforehand, we can offer to talk through what you want to discuss with your parent and what you think their reaction might be.

We can also talk through the financial plans you mentioned you discussed with your boyfriend. If you want, we can also offer to talk through how you feel about starting to live with your boyfriend, what you think that will look like, and your school plans.

You mentioned depression in the past and some stressful situations. You sound like a resilient person and we can offer you support and resources. We have a database of resources (such as counselors) if you’re interested.

And another teen resource is the Love is Respect hotline at 1-866-331-9474 and loveisrespect.org. They are also available 24/7.

We are here to talk and here to listen 24/7. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929.

Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X