Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math

I am 11 and made a C again on my math test. My parents don't understand. If I don't make B or A they ground me. I have been unallowed to go anywhere or listen to my music since school started. They are always mad at me. I'm trying to make good grades but I can't. In my other subjects I make good grades but I can't do math. I am depressed and thinking about running away. Even my grandma said my parents are too harsh. I told them I'm trying hard. They are going to talk to my math teacher tomorrow.

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things between you and your parents have been really tense since school has started. It must be really hard to live with parents that are always mad at you. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you are being treated harshly. It sounds like your grandmother is someone who supports you. Maybe you could have your grandmother talk to your parents about how their behavior is affecting you. If not you can always give us a call and we can connect a three-way call with you and your parents. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Will I still be able to get into college if my math grades are bad? My parents say if I keep making C in math that I won't get into college and will live in a dump when I grow up and not be able to get a good job. I really am trying to make better grades but I can't. I don't know why. My mom helps me with my homework and makes me do math problems every night for two hours. I still can't make good grades on my math tests. If a student makes good grades in other subjects, but only gets a C on math tests, does that mean that person won't be able to get into college?

My grandma already told my parents how mean they are to me and told them I am trying to do better. My dad told her that I better quit coming in here with C's if I want to be able to afford a nice house and car. He told me grandma that if I don't make better math grades that I'll have to have a tutor and that the fee will come put of my allowance. My grandma said she would pay for a tutor but my dad told her she couldn't afford to. I want to leave home so bad. I guess I'm just stupid. I don't know why I keep making C because I try so hard to make good grades. I hate my parents sometimes and I hate my math teacher. When I tell my teacher I don't understand a math problem she gets hateful.

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey again,

It sounds like schooling is getting really stressful and your family isn't making it better. Usually C's are passing, however, it would probably depend on which college you're trying to go to. Due to the fact that you're 11, colleges don't look at your grades until you're in High School. So you have a lot of time until it's time to apply for college. You mentioned that your math teacher is not being helpful, it's definitely not okay for the teacher to be speaking to you in a hateful way. Your school counselors or other math teachers could possibly be able to get you in touch with tutors or may have an after school program, so your family won't have to pay. Unfortunately, we're not experts on the college application process, contacting your school counselors would be able to answer those questions more thoroughly. We are always here to do conference calling with parents, if you need help talking to them about your stress level. Calling into our safeline is definitely the best way for us to get the whole picture. We also have a chatting service via our website, if you're not able to call into us.

Best, NRS

I got suspended this morning for calling my math teacher a **********. My parents had a conference with her and she doesn't want me in her class anymore. I will be in a different math class with a different teacher. My new teacher said I need to go to Sylvan Learning. My parents complained and said it was too far to drive and too expensive. My mom said to me that maybe having a different teacher will help. Now I am grounded for two more weeks even in I get an A on my next math test. They took away my allowance
      ​​The only reason they didn't take away my phone was for safety reasons. They act like they hate me and think what I did was alot worse than it was. My teacher really was a **********. I was being honest when I called her that. She is mean and grouchy all the time. She is married to the mayor and now my dad thinks he might get fired because I called ty he mayor's wife a ********** to her ugly face. She's old and needs to retire if she gets mad at a student just because they ask for help with a math problem. I hate her. My parents are even thinking up other ways to ground me. I'm already not allowed to go anywhere except school. I got my headphones and music taken away. Now my allowance is gone until next summer. I think my parents are over reacting. I haven't told my grandma yet because she will be upset that I got suspended for calling my teacher a name and may not take my side anymore. I don't want you all to set up a call with my parents. I have my duffle bag packed and might runaway to live with my grandparents. I don't think I can take this anymore. I try to get good grades. C level in just one class isn't that bad. What I called my teacher isn't as bad as what everyone says. Do you really think my dad could get fired because she's the mayor's wife? He doesn't work for the mayor. My mom said that doesn't matter because the mayor had influence on the company he works at
      My dad says we will lose the house and our insurance and have to move and lose both cars.

​​​​
      ​​​​​​

​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi again,

Thanks for reaching out again. It definitely sounds like you’re going through a stressful time and the situation is rather complicated. People make mistakes, and if you weren't being treated respectfully by your teacher, it's understandable that you lost your temper with her. We do offer conference calling with youth and parents, if you need help talking to them about the situation, we can help you with that. We would be more than happy to explore more about the situation. Unfortunately, because we do get a large number of emails and forum post, we do have to limit email replies to three individual responses to answer any questions that you have or to provide you with a number of means of support. So it’s certainly not a means to communicate to get the full support that you can get if you called in. So the best way to tell us everything would be to just call into our 24 hour hotline and talk to one of our trained liners.

Hope to talk to you soon, NRS
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X