Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about leaving?

I'm having some issues with my mom. She's pregnant and she's 42. She doesn't have a job. I'm the second oldest out of my 5 siblings. My mother is immature and doesn't trust me at all. She's always bringing me down by calling me names when I'm upset or angry about something, instead of asking me what's wrong. I'm always trying to help her around the house. When we argue about something she's gets all mad and then blames me or my father. Then storms away in her room. I'm always trying to communicate with her if there's something wrong half the time she will listen to me the other half turns into arguments. I want to leave because of the way she treats me. I know my situation could be worst but I want to be healthy. I don't want to be depressed because my mom takes me for granted. My father isn't alive so I can't go to him. And my aunt and grandmother are planning on moving soon. I want to leave without hurting my mom. I still care about her. But I I don't know where I would go. I feel like I should live with a friend for awhile.

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It is sounds like your mothers immature behavior is affecting you negatively. You mentioned that your mom calls you names when you are already upset which does not seem fair. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you are constantly criticized and ridiculed on a daily basis. You mentioned that you have been having issues communicating with your mother. We know that talking to parents sometime can be difficult, perhaps you can consider using our conference calling service, this is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your mom to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your mom not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you.
    We are not going to tell you that you should or should not runaway. We are here to try to provide you with support and resources so that if you do decide to leave home, you are doing it intelligently and safely. You mentioned that you don’t really know where you would go but you are thinking about going to a friends. You really want to do then you are more than welcome to give us a call and we can talk about all of your options and help you come up with a safety plan. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

My girlfriend is pregnant and six teen and is scared with how much her parents argue that it could hurt the baby when it gets here. She is also verbally and emotionally abused as well as occasional physical abuse. I was wanting to know if she would be able to runaway with the baby to her friends house?

Comment

Reply: My girlfriend is pregnant

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

In most states 18 years old is the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian.
        A person under the age of 18 leaving home without permission, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city.

Generally speaking, a minor that encounters a police officer while reported as a runaway, may likely be detained until they can be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call the non-emergency number of your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
        You mentioned some things that raise concern for her safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening in the home, she has the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

She has every right to be concerned not only for herself but the baby as well.

If you feel she might consider this an option to explore, she may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. She can also call 1-800-422-4453.
        We can also help with filing a report if that’s the route she chooses.
        You did a great job reaching out to us today. She is fortunate to have you on her side.

If you or she would like to speak more about her situation please contact us.
        To contact NRS call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with us at www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
        x
        x
        Working...
        X