No announcement yet.

16 Yr Old Louisiana

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 16 Yr Old Louisiana

    I'm 16, I live in Louisiana, and I live with my grandparents. I've lived with my grandparents since I was two years old but I've never liked it. I've had problems at school with concentration and social anxiety, and I can never seem to get the motivation to do anything or do my work. My psychiatrist suggested online school, so I've been doing that this year. She also suggested I be put on medication for moderate to severe depression, and anxiety medication but my grandmother said no, that it's a phase. Well I've been in this 'phase' since 5th grade and I'm about to be a senior, if I pass this year. My mom wants me to move in with her and be on medication and go back into public school or get my HiSet, whichever one will benefit me more. I'm posting on here to ask if any of you know how I could go stay with my mom until I'm 17 and can be emancipated (which is exactly three months from now) without getting in any legal trouble. I have a plan. I just don't want my mom to be in any kind of trouble. (I also have a twin sister who feels the same way that I do about this situation) We just want out of this house.

  • #2
    RE: 16 Yr Old Louisiana

    Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. We’re glad you did. It sounds like you’re going through a lot right now and home is not where you want to be. It sounds like you have been thinking about leaving your grandparents for some time now. Leaving home can be a big step, and it is great that you have reached out in trying to figure out what is best for you.

    It sounds like you have been having some trouble concentrating and you are wanting to go on medication that could possible help with that. We are sorry to hear that your grandparents are not supportive of the medication that your psychiatrist suggested. It sounds like you are in a tough spot. This might be a good time to look around you and see if there is a trusted adult that you can talk to that can help talk with your grandparents. Even looking to someone that your grandparents trust that could help you talk to them.

    It seems like your mom is supportive of you getting on the medication. Also, it sounds like you think you would be happier being with your mom. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts and the age for getting emancipated, varies from state to state. Speaking in general terms the age of majority is 18. Also, if you were to leave before you’re 18, you’re guardian (which sounds like it’s your grandparents) would be able to file a runaway report. If you are found, then you are just brought back to them. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. Therefore, the person harboring (helping) a runaway could be charged by the police or the legal guardian.

    You had also mentioned that you are looking to get emancipated. We do have information on emancipation if you were to call us we could give to you. You stated that you are turning 17 in 3 months. Generally emancipation takes about 6 months and it would require to go to court. Essentially emancipation is proving to the court that you can live on your own without a legal guardian. This means to be able to financially support yourself with a job and find a safe place to live. You would essentially be an adult at the age you were emancipated. Another thing to be aware of is that emancipation can be expensive. If this is something that you are interested in, please give us a call and we can put you in contact with someone that can better assist you with the process.

    If you would like to call us we can provide you with some information depending on where you live to get some legal experts advice. Also, if you ever do feel like talking to us we are here 24/7 and we are confidential. Once again, we are very glad you’ve reached out to us. Like I said before, if you have any other questions or just need a listening ear don’t hesitate to call us.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif