No announcement yet.

Need advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need advice

    My girlfriend and I been together for a good while and her parents don't want us together. My girlfriend wants to leave but it's not because of me it's because her parents don't treat her right and say bad things about her, and try to make me look like I don't wanna be with her. She is 17 and she wants to live with her grandma but her parents refuse to let her. Is there some way for her to get out that terrible environment so she can be happy?

  • #2

    Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight! We're so sorry to hear about what you're going through. It can be really difficult to be in a position where your significant other's parents do not want you together. It's disappointing that on top of this, her parents do not treat her well. It's great that she feels comfortable enough with her grandparents to want to live with them! We can give you some information on runaway laws and hopefully that info can help you out.

    So for the most part when a youth leaves home before the age of 18 they could be considered a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. What this means is that youth won't be arrested for running away, but your girlfriend's parents could file a runaway report for her with the police and the police would be looking for her. If the police found her they would take her back home. It would not go on her permanent record and she would not get arrested. If there is any abuse going on at home she can tell the police about it if she feels comfortable doing so, and they would likely get into contact with child protective services for her.

    You did mention that your girlfriend was 17 though, so it's important to note that there are times when some police departments don't actually take runaway reports for 17 year olds. This differs from police department to police department though, so you or your girlfriend may have to reach out to her local police department and see what exactly they would do in this situation. If they do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds she can leave without her parent's permission and they would not be able to get the police involved.

    She can also see if her grandparents would be willing to take custody of her. In order to do that, her grandparents would likely have to get into contact with some type of legal service in their area.

    If you need anything else please know you can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way that we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif