Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help..

I am 16 years old and I have got in trouble multiple times for alcohol and drug use with my parents. I understand I made bad choices and understand I need to be punished. I know I have it good compared to some kids but I really need help. My dad makes me want to commit suicide all the time. They have told me that I mean nothing to them and that they are done. They say this every time and nothing is done. This time my dad has given me the option to move schools. I have went to school with the same people for all my years of school. I don't want to move but I am willing to for my dad and our relationship. But I do not blame the school or people that go to my school for my actions I blame myself. I feel like moving schools will be running away from my problem. No matter what school you go to you have kids that party and drink and do drugs so school change isn't the problem. I went to a party last weekend and did drink but did not smoke and my parents swear I did. I know for a fact I didn't. They won't drug test me even though I could pass. I have no phone and got my car taken and when I did have my phone they could see everything I did on it. I really want to graduate with everyone I've been going to school with my whole school career. I can't do this anymore. I have no idea what to do. I have thought of getting emancipated but it isn't even the school changes or my phone or my car its my dad and the hurtful things he says and he doesn't even feel bad for saying them at all. He means every word he says. My sister has always been favored by everyone in my family. She went to UGA she never did drugs or never got caught doing them and she did drink but never got caught. She had boys spend the night and never got caught or got in trouble when they did find out. I looked up to her but I realized I will never accomplish the stuff she has and I just feel like if I don't accomplish those things my parents won't be proud of me. MY parents try and say that they don't want me to end up like her but not only me but other people notice their favoritism toward her. I just want to do good and make my parents proud but they can't see that and I don't know what else to do.

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you taking the time to post on our forum about your situation, and we hope our response will be helpful.
    It sounds like home life has been pretty hard due to some mistakes you’ve made in the past. It’s pretty usual for teens to experiment with drugs and alcohol and it’s hard when parents don’t let go of the mistakes you’ve made. Everyone’s human, and everyone makes mistakes. It’s impossible to live life without making them. It sounds like your taking responsibility for your actions, which is very mature of you. It’s understandable that you’re not sure if you want to change school, and you’re very right about how many schools have students who are engaging in drinking or drugs. It sounds like you tried to not repeat past mistakes by not doing drugs at the party you went to recently, which again, was very mature of you. We’re sorry that your dad has been so hard on you. It’s really frustrating when parents don’t treat siblings the same, we understand how it is painful for you. It could be that your parents are just frustrated and sometimes when people are mad, they say things that they don’t mean. We do offer conference calling options between youth and their parents. If you ever needed help talking to your parents about how you’ve been feeling, we can help facilitate a conversation. Family or individual counseling could also be productive. If you wanted resources, you can call into our safe line and we can help find some resources for you.

Lastly, your safety is our number one priority. You mentioned a couple of times that you’ve been or have thought about suicide in the past. Those feelings can be really scary. We want you to know that your life has worth. If you ever feel like those thoughts about suicide are getting to be too overwhelming, please don’t hesitate to call out to emergency respondents (911). If you’re not wanting to call them alone, we can always call with you. If you’re wanting to talk about those feelings and thoughts you’re having, we’re always here to listen. There’s also the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-8255. They are also open 24/7 and they have a chatting service via their website suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Again, we thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. We understand it takes courage to share how you’ve been feeling and about the situation. Talking to school counselors or teachers about home life and your mental health, could provide you with additional support. Maybe they can even help you talk with your parents as well. Our safeline is open 24/7, so if you want to explore the options or resources that we listed, or just want to talk, don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X