Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't wanna be here

i am 17 years old and I was recently in a fight with my real mom and she told me if I wanted to I could leave and then I came to my real dads house for a few weeks and then it got out of hand their she yells at me and calls my girlfriend names and tells me that I don't ever wanna listen and do what is right when I work a decent job at 10.75 am hour I can support myself and everything else I just wanna know if I am able to leave both homes for good bc it is always fighting and it makes me wanna do nothing but sit in the dark and cry It is killing me on the inside to the point where I just shut down and do nothing I go to school and say nothing all day to anyone I have places I can get to live in I just want to know if I am able bc I live in New York State

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation, it sounds like you’ve been in a stressful point with your parents. We hope our response is helpful.

It sounds like neither of your parents are good people to be around, and it’s effecting your mental health. Which isn’t okay, at all. You should be respected at home, and whoever you bring into your home (like your girlfriend). It’s really understandable why you’d want to get away from both homes, from what you’ve described. You said that you’re 17. If you leave home without your parents’ permission, like runaway, your parents could make a runaway report. However, some police don’t take runaway reports on 17 year olds, since their close to being an adult (over 1. We offer to call out to local police with youth, to find out more about their protocols, if you wanted to do that. If one of your parents have legal custody over you, and would give you permission to move out, that could also be an option. If it gets to the point where your mental health is overwhelming, there is the national suicide prevention hotline (800) 273-8255 and they also have a chatting service on their website. You didn’t mention being at the point of thinking about suicide, but we want to be on the safe side. There’s nothing wrong with reaching out when you need support, our safeline is also open 24/7 as well. We do have a chatting service (but the hours are restrictive).

You’re not alone in this, and it sounds like you’ve done a good job thinking up a plan. You’re being incredibly brave. We’re always a call away, so don’t hesitate to reach out to us again.

Be safe, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X