No announcement yet.

Mental abuse

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mental abuse

    I'm 19 and pregnant. My mother works all the time. My father hasn't worked a day in 20 years. All he does is house work and watches as my mom stuggles to pay bills. He's not handicapped or disabled in anyway and has a bachorlors but refuses to work. Not only that but he mentally and verbally abuses my mom and me and my brothers and sisters(all are adults besides my sister is 14yrs of age). He also breaks things that my mom has bought with no remorse, plates, TVs, a laptop, coffee mugs, remotes, etc. Wears the same clothes all the time(bad hygiene). He pushes me to the point of where I would rather live in a dirty dump then here at home. He fights with people and cusses non-stop at everyone. I think he has some mental issues like bi-polar but my mom refuses to have him see a doctor and refuses to divorce him after all of us telling her that it's best and after seeing all of us break down at one point because of him. Now I'm worried about my babies health because of how much wear and tear he has done to not only me but everyone else. I don't know what else to do besides call department of children's services but I don't want my younger sister to be taken away, we all just need him out.

  • #2
    Thank you for getting in touch. This sounds like an extremely difficult situation for you and your family. Unfortunately there isn’t much that can be done to get him out of the house if your mother is not willing to leave. One option is to try calling the police non-emergency line and describe the situation to see if there is anything to be done. If you do contact Child Protective Services, there is also the possibility about either you or your siblings assuming guardianship of your younger sister. We are not really legal experts here, but we are happy to provide legal resources in your area to get more information about legal options that may be available to you. It is understandable that you would not want your baby exposed to that either, so we are also happy to provide resources in your area for places to stay or transitional living programs to help with becoming independent if you feel like that would be helpful. If you are interested in any sort of resources, we are available 24/7 by phone at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat at In the meantime, it can be helpful to find ways to stay out of the house, such as staying at friends’ houses as much as possible or at school for your younger sister.

    Thank you again for getting in touch. It’s never easy asking for help, and it’s great to see how much you care about your family’s wellbeing.

    Best of luck to you all,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove