Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early start to Adulthood

I'm a month away from being 17, and I can't take being locked up in the house. I have nothing here, and I'm not attached to anyone. My family is the middle of a financial crisis, my mom's an alcoholic, and my dad is a cheating brute who has the best of intentions, and nothing else. I'm not an easy person to get along with, and it's only getting worse. Highschool isn't unbearable, but it is a ridiculous waste of time. I'm far enough ahead of the curve to do concurrent enrollment as an upcoming Junior, but without the money, I'm just sitting in Bum********, OK with nothing to do and no one to talk to. Councilors are only focused on student atheletes and troubled gay teens. For everyone else, they have a "peer hour", which is studyhall for morons. So without any other options, I'm running away. I've been working and I know how finances work (Personal Financial Literacy and Accounting classes). I'm ready to move forward into adult life. I'm joining the Navy out of highschool, and then using my G.I. to get a degree to further my military career (Aviation Maintenance). I have roughly $150 saved up from working concessions. That should be enough to get me a bus or train ticket to Austin, and I'm big enough (6'3", 212lbs) not to be messed with on the streets or in a shelter. I've made up my mind and have packed my bags. I'm not drug addicted, but I have smoke my fair share or weed, and I'm not a criminal, but I did depants a kid in Freshman year. I'm not a runaway pregnant teen, because my parts don't work that way, and I'm not running away with, or because of a girl, but I'm just trying to get out of this sinkhole of a family, and move forward with my life. I'm tired of being a bother and burden to my family and friends. I'm wondering if there is a way to be apart of an orphanage or halfway housing for the next 2 years (at most). And if not, is there a safehaven for teen runaways that can help with what I'm describing? Preferably in the Austin area, because I have a 22 year-old half-brother I can turn to if I need help.

Early start to Adulthood

Hello and thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like there is a lot going on in your home and you're looking forward to being an adult and taking care of yourself. You seem to be feeling frustrated with a lot of the circumstances in your environment. Many in your situation would feel beyond aggravated and frustrated much like how you're feeling, we imagine. If you are in need of a safe place, National Safe Place is a great resource to turn to when in need of a safe haven or runaway shelter which can be found here: http://nationalsafeplace.org/

If you would like to talk more about what you're going through or if you would like some help locating a shelter near you, please reach out to us by phone or chat so that we may help. Often having a space to use as a sounding board can really have a positive impact in helping to sort through some uncertainties and/or anxieties. We hope to hear from you soon,

We wish you safety and the best of luck.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X