No announcement yet.

What can I do ???

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What can I do ???

    I'm 14 years old, and I live with my grandparents and my mom lives in a different state. My mom moved us to a different state with her abusive and drunk boyfriend, and I couldn't handle that. I did not want to live in the same house with him, he scared me, he has done so much to us and I can't be near him. I don't like it. My mom allowed me to go home and finsh middle school with my grandparents in my home town. And I don't want to leave, school is starting soon and my mom wants me to go back with her but I don't want to. I want my grandparents to have custody of me because I can't handle going back with her, I'm scared of that guy, I'm traumatized and I just can't. But she says she'll make me whether I like it or not. I love my grandparents they have always cared for me, I have lived with them for most of life until we moved to a different house with my moms boyfriend but that didn't even last a full year before I came back to living with them. They keep me safe, I love living with them. They want custody of me , and I want them to have it. But my mom won't hand me over. What can I do?? Please help.

  • #2
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS today. We know how scary it can be to share your story and we are really glad you were able to do that and reach out for help. It sounds like living with your mom and her boyfriend isn’t a safe environment for you. We want you to know that you deserve to live in a home that you feel safe and loved in. It is good to hear that your grandparents have been able to provide a stable and loving home for you.
    We aren’t legal experts, but we can provide you with some general information that may be able to help in your situation. If your mother is your current legal guardian she does have the right to file a runaway report with your local police if you happen to be staying at your grandparents without her permission. Running away is considered a status offense which means the police would just pick you up and take you home if they were to find you. It sounds like your grandparents are willing to take over legal custody of you. If this is how you would like to proceed, contacting a family lawyer in your area may be helpful. They may be able to answer questions about your specific situation more in depth and even offer some help in the next steps to gaining custody.
    We hope this was helpful for you. We want to let you know that we are always here to listen and help to the best of our ability. If you have further questions or want to talk about your options more in-depth feel free to reach out to us via chat or by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Good luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp