Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I stay home or run away?

I've been living in my house since I was born. I'm surprised I was able to endure this long with no freedom but enough is enough. I cannot stand myself living in the same household with first generation parents. I understand the past is the past but my trauma always comes back as I've been living home. I see no change of heart through my parents who cannot understand me and the way I've been treated by them and now drives me insane. I admit there are times I can be depressed. I may be 20, but no matter what I want to do, my parents refuse. They can be very overprotective but I should be able to make my own choices and it is my personal life. I do not wish to be treated the same as my relatives.

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. We are so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It definitely sounds like a difficult and complicated situation. You care about your parents, but at the same time want to be treated as an adult and be able to make your own decisions. It's unfortunate that it's gotten so bad that you've been depressed at times about it. We want to know it's really brave of you to reach out and talk to us about the way you're feeling.

The good thing is that at the age of 20 you can leave home without your parents' permission as you're legally an adult at that age. Leaving home can be scary, but if you come up with a plan and talk to people close to you it can be possible. If you feel like leaving home is good for your mental health we support your decision. You can also talk to your parents about the way you're feeling and your idea of moving out.

If you want to talk more about your situation or need any resources, please feel free to reach out to us again. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way that we can.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X