Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice about leaving parent's house with both parents emotionally abusive

I currently live with my mom who is emotionally abusive toward me my whole life, and now it has been worse the past couple months because I have come out as transgender and she doesn't believe it's real. She has hidden all of my guy's clothes from me or has cut them up in front of me. She believes that if she gets me a better bra I'll want to be a girl. Then there's my dad who has been verbally abusive forever to everyone in my family. I want out but I have almost no money because my parents are forcing me to go to college, but I have to pay for the entire thing, and they also have extended guardianship. I want out of this house but they refuse. Any advice?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out, and we’re sorry to hear you’re having such a difficult time with your parents accepting you for who you are.

With extended legal guardianship, typically you cannot enter into contracts yourself, which could make getting a lease on your own difficult.

While you are living with them, would you consider going to a transgender or LGBT support group in your area? Getting to know others who have been in a similar situation or would be willing to listen to what you’re going through might be a helpful experience. Also, sometimes having a third person in a conversation with parents can help. Is there anyone you think could help you talk to your parents? Sometimes people consider school guidance counselors, family friends, or relatives.

If you have any other questions, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or the Trans Lifeline (a hotline for transgender individuals) at 1-877-565-8860.

Best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    x
    x
    Working...
    X